Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad CPU? help!  (Read 1814 times)

Nietzsche

Bad CPU? help!
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:59:35 PM »
Hey all…

I just bought a brand new Shuttle micro computer and hardware….tossed it all together and I get donut, zero…no video at all.

This sux and is very disheartening as this is all new stuff and was quite an investment.

I know it’s not a monitor issue (tried 2 monitors). I’ve already detached the drives, cleared the CMOS and re-installed the CPU, RAM chip and video card.

What is does: 1) power button depressed: power light on, fans all come on (CPU fan, power supply fan, video card fan). Immediately shuts down for a half-second and starts again. Sometimes shuts down twice quickly but then stays on. -Kind of sounds like starting a car in the morning.

The CPU gets HOT and the little green LED light on the motherboard is on. There are no beeps or sounds but I don’t think there is a built-in speaker anyway.

No video at all. The monitor does recognize when it’s unplugged from the card “no input signal” , the card fan works and the card is brand new…I have no replacement to check it though…..nor can I check the CPU or RAM chip.

What do you think? Bad CPU, bad motherboard, bad video card, bad RAM chip?

Any help is extremely appreciated……!

Thanx!

Specs: Shuttle SB77G5 micro / Pentium 4 630+ 3GHz  800MHz FSB 2MB L2 cache / 512MB ECC DDR RAM (1) / NVIDIA FX5500 256MB 8X AGP card  

GX1_Man

Re: Bad CPU? help!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:53:06 AM »
What do you think? Bad CPU, bad motherboard, bad video card, bad RAM chip?

Or bad power supply or bad build? Unfortunately when you "toss it all together" you have absolutely no idea where the problem is.

It is preferable to do this outside the case on a piece of cardboard, but strip the machine down to processor/Fan, 1 stick RAM and video (onboard if it has it), keyboard and mouse. What happens now? If all is well, add one thing at a time and test until the culprit is found. If it still has the symptoms, make sure the motherboard is correctly mounted and not shorting out on the case.

Post back with results.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:55:17 AM by GX1_Man »

Nietzsche

Re: Bad CPU? help!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 06:40:22 PM »
 Thanks Genius (no pun intended) but it is already stripped down to those essentials. When I said "tossed together" I shouldn't have implied that the build was haphazard.... the opposite is true, I took great care.

The only thing I didn't do was plug in a mouse........but correct me if I'm wrong, I can't imagine lack of a mouse (or keyboard for that matter) would have this effect. (?)

I'll reboot with a mouse and get back to you...

Thanks,
-C