Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help Understanding Resolutions  (Read 1827 times)

into_thevoid

Need Help Understanding Resolutions
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
I have recently bought a 19" samsung lcd tv, and am using it as my computer monitor.  In the instructions it says to set the resolution at 1400x900.  All good, however I'm considering exchanging this tv for a larger one (23" or 26") and the same brand and model just larger size have instructions to set the computer resolution at 1366x768.  If anyone can explain why a larger tv would have a lower resolution that would help.  2nd the 1366x768 resolution is not available on my computer.  How can I work around that.  My graphics controller is a intel 82845G.

Track

Apprentice

Re: Need Help Understanding Resolutions
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »
    Simple.

The 19" LCD u have is NOT a TV. Why? It has no TV tuner. It is what is called a "computer monitor".
    The 23-26" LCDs u want to purchase ARE TVs and so their resolutions are much lower than the resolution a computer monitor. Good TVs will have the resolution of 1366x768 (at a 16:9 aspect ratio) until they reach the size of over 70", so its the best u can do. However many TVs today also support resolutions of 1280x720 (or 720p) and 1920x1080 (or 1080i and sometimes even 1080p) for certain things, they are called HDTV but are actually just HRTVs (High-res/ High-def)
    TV signals (cable and satalite) are still being trasmitted at 640x480 (or 480i) wich is the old standard, wich WOULD look worse as the size of the TV grows, so it is unfourtunate. However today u can subscribe to TV transmitted at up to 1080i in many parts of western society, and if u have an HDTV u can enjoy this.
    Buying a smaller TV is always better for the quality of the image because if the TV is smaller, th image is less stretched, but if u look from the right distance, it will look the same. And have a bigger TV is a lot more fun and immersive.
    Enjoy.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!