Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Being redirected to wrong website (hijacked?)  (Read 3876 times)

Mackeybear

Being redirected to wrong website (hijacked?)
« on: November 10, 2006, 03:33:55 PM »
I'm new to the forum and I have a problem or two.  I am clicking on a hyperlink that should take me to a site where I can sign up to possibly mystery shop ( I can hear the groans.  Just trying it out).  Anyway, when the hyperlink is clicked, I am sent to the proper URL, but the site onlyy lists places where I can spend money on products or services related to mystery shopping.  I know it might be that the site owners intended to send me there, but I don't think that is the case.  I'm waiting on contact from them in response to my question to that effect.  I believe the URL is somehow being renamed (tho not in the address line of my browser).  Is this possible.  The URL   IS  the correct URL that I'm clicking on.  If it helps, the URL is http://www.mysteryshoppinginfo.com/subshops.html.  Through reading the information at the beginning of the forums, and some info on the virus thread, I downloaded ccleaner and used it.  It found two registry problems.  One said Registry Key   Hkey_local_machine\software\altnet.
The other was HKEY_USERS-1-5-21-220523388-115176313-682003330-1004\software\microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_
LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplorer.exe!=w=1.  Do I need to go into registry and delete these or are they harmless or even usefu even tho ccleaner presented them as an intrusion (my interpretation).  I'll present my hardware here

Compaq Presario R3000
Windows XP   svc pack 2
80 gig hard drive
Firefox browser
384 mb of ram
Thanks for any help. Very frustrating being redirected (if that's what it turns out to be)

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Being redirected to wrong website (hijacked?)
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:57:59 AM »
    hi and welcome to the forum. i got the email reply from the forum on this topic but i was busy this weekend but what protections do you have? AV antispyware etc? what's the address the you get sent to that you think is getting redirected?

unlovedwarrior

Mackeybear

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
    Thanks.  I run AVAST, SpywareBlaster, and AVG 7.5.  The site where I'm directed to is

http://www.mysteryshoppinginfo.com/subshops.html.  Again, I think this in not the site

where I should be directed, but I have a request in to join a forum with the company.  

Someone there should at least be able to tell me what I SHOULD be seeing.  Is there a

way to tell if the site is masquerading as the site I should be going to (the URL is

correct.  Thanks

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:35:58 PM »
      i get redirected there so its something dealing with the site.. they might be redirecting so contact them

Mackeybear

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 06:41:39 PM »
      Thanks for your help.  I'll see what's up.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
      It's not exactly a re-direct it's a spoof and they are responsible.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

newbiesecurity

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 10:52:47 PM »
      Did you get SpywareBlaster directly from the Javacool website?  There is a rogue anti-spyware product taking advantage of the Javacool product name.  The rogue tool is downloaded from www[dot]spywareblaster[dot]com.  Check out spywarewarrior.com for more info.