Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error Message:  Hook Load Failed  (Read 3915 times)

TombRaiderBC

Error Message:  Hook Load Failed
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »
When I boot my PC I get an error message "Hook Load Failed."  OS is Windows XP.  What does this mean and how do I fix it?

:-?

GX1_Man

Re: Error Message:  Hook Load Failed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:50:35 AM »
Probably a missing or damaged .dll file. More information would be helpful. When did it start, what happened before it, etc.?

See below.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 01:50:53 AM by GX1_Man »

TombRaiderBC

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 09:29:19 AM »
Well... I'm not sure how much more info I can provide.  I first noticed the problem about a week ago during a restart.  I did have a power failure during a thunderstorm recently while I was playing Civ City: Rome, but I couldn't say for certain if that's when it began.  I can't think of any other trouble.  I haven't noticed any problems running software.  My mouse buttons are functioning a bit differently during the game.  Other than that nothing noticeable is wrong with the system.  The message comes up in a tiny box at reboot and there is are no further details provided.  Just "Error:  Hook Load Failed."  I close the window and proceed without problems.

Beyond that, if there is a problem with any of my software, I haven't found it yet.  If there's something pertinent I've left out I'll be glad to respond.

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:57:09 AM »
Re-install CivCity since that's what was running when your power was knocked out.

If that doesn't improve the issue go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter...have your official shiny XP CD handy as it will ask for it.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "