Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: encryption software  (Read 1953 times)

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
    encryption software
    « on: November 11, 2006, 07:55:51 AM »
    Hello

I would like to download an encryption software to protect my password when i am on wireless. Any free download or suggestions. Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: encryption software
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:11:56 AM »
    What password? Your Windows password should be stored in your head.

More details would be needed to understand the real issue.

robin2006

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
      Hello

I understand that when if i am logged into an unsecured wireless network, anybody on that network can be watching what you're doing online

Advice to all laptop owners: to enable your laptop's encryption software that will scramble the data on your computer. Could you tell me how to do that

Thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »
      From the Robship:

A note about wireless networks

Currently, all wireless networks can be cracked.  The problem with wireless is that it's indiscriminate.  The signal is scattered, and anyone within range can pick it up.  Contrast that with wired networks, where you need some form of physical access in order to "enter" the network.

Once a wireless network has been detected, it is not difficult for someone with the knowhow to crack the network's encryption.  They then have access to all the resources on your network - and scarily they can do this from an unmarked van parked outside your house.  You may not even be able to detect the intrusion.

For this reason I strongly recommend that you use maximum security if you have a wireless network.  Switch of file and print sharing, unless you're sure you need it.  If you need it, use very strong passwords.  Use software firewalls on all PCs, and it goes without saying, use reputable virus and spyware detection software and keep it up to date.  

From the Googleship:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+secure+a+wireless+network