Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New video card failure.  (Read 2071 times)

Dhofer21

New video card failure.
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »
Ack!  :(  I had a nice question written out and hit preview, but accidentally hit back and lost it all.   :'(

Anyway, I'm having some difficulties with a video card.  I'm trying to get a Geforce FX5500 PCI to work in a Dell e310, but whenever I try and plug the VGA into it all I get is a blank screen.   I've tried turning the onboard card off, updating the video drivers, going into the registry and bios options, but all to no avail.  From what I've seen, the computer does not even recognize that the card is there.  :(

I know it is getting power due to the fan working, and I switched slots to see if it was just a faulty slot; but they all work fine.  I'm thinking it is either an out of date bios (of which I have no idea how to update without screwing up the computer, I'm sure), or the card is just faulty.  When in the bios the only options it gives me is "Auto" and "On board" or whatever, and no add in.  And when I go into the adapter options of what video processor to use, it only shows the on board one even though the video card is very cleary pluged in.   :-/

I was thinking it was just a faulty VGA port on the card, but that wouldn't explain why the system doesn't even recognize the card.
I've also updated and installed hardware that came with the card, but that was of no help either.  Even after talking with people who have Dell E310s and the same card who either had it work the first time or had similar problems, none of their solutions were of any help to me; though I do appreciate their attempts in the matter.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions or help, even if I said I have done them above.  :)

My specs are:
Dell E310
Intel 3.2 GHz HT
2048 DDR RAM
180 GB Storage
Windows XP Home
PCI x2 PCIex1 x1
Manufactured Bios version.
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128MB)
Internal Video Bios.

Also, I'm having a problem with my on-board card in the mean time, while trying to fix this add in video card problem.  Whenever I try to play a 3-d game I keep on getting the error "Cannot initialize 3-d Engine" or "Make sure you are able to support lighting 1.1" or something.  I know this onboard card is crappy, but the on board card on another computer is much older and still able to do these things.    :-?

Thanks to all who spent the time in reading this, especially those who take the time in trying to help me in my plight.
I'm not all that good with doing things myself without specific instructions, so any help will be very much appreciated in this matter.
 ;D

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: New video card failure.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
In addition to this forum, you might also visit the Dell Community Forum at http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums?~ck=mn and go to the Dimension section for Dimension - Video.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:19:41 PM by soybean »