Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Volume information files  (Read 2248 times)

lloydmarie

System Volume information files
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:41:05 PM »
When I run defrag, I end up with 15-20 System Volume Information files with fragments.  If I use "search" to locate these files, there is no indication they even exist.  Does anyone know anything about these files, wheter or not they can be deleted. etc.?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: System Volume information files
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »
These are System Restore files.  System Restore is reckoned to restore your system files to a prior time if you suffer a small disaster.  Most of the time System Restore doesn't work.  If you wish to not have the System Restore feature hold down the Windows key and press break to bring up System Properties , open the System Restore tag and check the box to turn off System Restore then Apply then OK.  All of the system restore files will be deleted.

If you subsequently want to invoke System Restore for the instructions above and uncheck the box..

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

lloydmarie

Re: System Volume information files
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »
Thanks dusty.  I did what you suggested and got rid of those files.  I have used System Restore before with good success.  Maybe I was just lucky.   ;)