Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer isn't recognizing my cd r drive anymor  (Read 2720 times)

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    my computer isn't recognizing my cd r drive anymor
    « on: November 14, 2006, 06:06:06 AM »
    I'm trying to burn a music cd but my computer is no longer recognizing my cd/r drive. What can I do?? I have a compaq and I'm running windows XP.

Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: my computer isn't recognizing my cd r drive an
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 06:11:31 AM »
    You need to post a lot more info about the machine, age, etc. especially what happened prior to this.

Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

See below.

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 06:26:46 AM »
      It's a Compaq and it's 3 years old. It has Windows XP, an 80 GB harddrive and 256 MB Ram. It's not recognizing my CD/R drive or my DVD drive.

Prior to this the only thing that happened was someone managed to steal my passwords for my Ebay account and my Yahoo account. I have no clue if it's related but that's the only weird thing that has happened. These drives were both working prior to this.

Amanda

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »
      Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

Press F10 (or whatever is listed on the screen at boot up) to access the BIOS/setup screen. Is the drive listed there?

It could be that the drive just died. Three years is a good lifespan for an optical drive that is used fairly regularly.

In the meantime, what are you using for virus/spyware protection? What software for burning? How was your account info stolen? What have you done after this to prevent fiuture occurrences? This may be related or not.

So please respond to all of these questions. We understand you are not a computer geek.  ;)