Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router question  (Read 2194 times)

pcj240ross

Router question
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »
Would it be possible for a bad router to kick a person from 3d gaming to the desktop?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Router question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 09:26:30 AM »
Im jsut wondering:

Who is your ISP?

Are 3d games the only thing you get kicked from?

Do you get kick from any other intensive bandwidth use?

Is there a certain time it kicks you..

What game are you playing?

I have a router and its somewhat bad, I cant use the internal firewall on the router I have to use other firewalls on the desktop instead.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
    Yes.  A bad router can cause a multitude of issues.  What make you think it's the router?  

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:10:26 AM »
    Does the router have a built-in firewall?  If so, then yes, the firewall, in trying to protect your computer, might be preventing the connections required to play the game online. You would have to reconfigure the firewall to allow the ports required to play the game.

Are you connected using ADSL or cable.  If cable, your bandwidth is determined by the number of users in your area (the more people on line, the slower your connection "speed").  Try playing the game during times when fewer people in your area are likely to be online (like very late in the evening or early in the morning) or consider switching to an ISP that uses ADSL.

Are you using Windows XP SP2?  If so, you might have to reconfigure or turn off the Windows firewall while playing games (it is in the Control Panel).

pcj240ross

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:51:32 PM »
    Insight Roadrunner
    I only play 3d games online, not 2d, when I play anything offline its fine
    I have not noticed any bandwidth issues
    All 3d games from tribes 1 to BF2
    Im using windows xp service pack 2

Ok, last year I bought a new router and at the same time kind of lost the time to play my games. When I started playing them again I was getting kicked from BF1942, BF Vietnam, Tribes, ect. I went to my other computer and the same thing. It occured after no specific amout of time. After trouble shooting forever, and I mean for months ( ATI had me send in both video cards for warranty service :(  ) I could not figure it out. Then i thought what if its something outside the computers and the first thing I thought of was my router.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »
    ...Im using windows xp service pack 2...

You left out, "...and i turned off the firewall like you advised, and now everything works fine. Thanks!"

::)
    « Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:06:02 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcj240ross

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 05:00:16 PM »
    oh, sorry, yes it is off and still does it :(

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »
    If you have no other software firewalls installed, it could be the hardware firewall of your router, or a bad router.