Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Big problem starting up windows XP  (Read 2287 times)

noshoes

Big problem starting up windows XP
« on: November 14, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
hi all, thanks for looking at this thread.

ive had a bit of a problem, i ran the system restore function but while it was in the middle of it i accidentally pressed the restart button  :'(.

My pc now refuses to start up, i get to the screen where it asks if i want to start in safe mode, last known configuration, start normally etc. No matter which option i choose it doesnt get any further it just restarts.  If I choose to try to boot up in safe mode i get a scrolling list of files before it resets.

Can i just download the boot disk from MS and use it to boot my PC up and then run it as normal?. Oh i dont have a 'real' Windows XP disk. if you need any more info just ask.

Thanks in advance :)

GX1_Man

Re: Big problem starting up windows XP
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:54:09 PM »
Everyone needs a real Windows CD sooner or later. In your case it appears to be sooner.  :'(

Nothing good ever comes from a scenario like this. A boot disk cannot help at all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:55:07 PM by GX1_Man »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
    noshoes..... Sounds like you have a problem.........
    Why on earth would you interupt a system restore ......... oh well never mind , what's done is done.
    By any chance do you have the install/restore disks which may have come with your pc ...or is there a separate partition on your hard drive with a image of your operating system.
    The only fix now may be to aquire a legit copy of XP and do a fresh install.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:56:46 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

noshoes

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:55 PM »
    oooh my copy of XP is leget, but it came from a store so we dint get the full cd, just a stupid reboot CD thats wants to reset the whole HDD which i would prefer not to do as i have all my stuff on it (150Gb worth).

and yeah im kicking myself, the system restore was at 90% but then i got distracted and hit the reset. thanks for the advice.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »

LOL ....... Mine came from a store , but I got a nice shiny  windows CD .....
      oooh my copy of XP is leget, but it came from a store so we dint get the full cd, just a stupid reboot CD thats wants to reset the whole HDD which i would prefer not to do as i have all my stuff on it (150Gb worth).

Then pop it in a do the reinstall.........

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
      Besides the obvious problem, you also have a problem that you have no backup strategy. All hard drives die eventually, and when yours goes, all of that important data is gone forever.

Have a read here. THis may save your *censored*:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515