Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot from CD  (Read 3440 times)

frosty1949

Boot from CD
« on: September 26, 2004, 08:39:12 AM »
My Win Me system has picked up a lot of viruses and I want to reload from the original CDs.  I've done this many times in the past with no problem.  Now when I try to do it, the system boots straight to Windows -even when the boot CD is in the drive.  The CD ROM drive works fine from within windows.  I've flashed the BIOS to make sure it is ok.  How can I get the system recognize the CD-ROM and boot from there?

tallyman

Re: Boot from CD
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 08:56:11 AM »
Are you sure you've got the BIOS set to boot from the CD before the hard drive?  Some systems also allow you to choose the boot drive on startup - usually F11

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 10:57:39 AM »
How about installing a virus scanner for once..

Set your first Boot device to CD-ROM in the BIOS.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 12:59:05 PM »
frosty1949 can you tell us why you flash your bios...this is the problem...you may now need a reg patch?

frosty1949

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 01:05:42 PM »
I've tried to set the BIOS to "boot from CD" but can't find an option to do it.  Seems like something took this option away from the PC.  It's an IBM Aptiva

frosty1949

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 01:07:34 PM »
It seems like the computer used to have an option to boot from CD, but that this no longer works for some reason.  I'm used to seeing this in the startup options in the BIOS... but there is no option now.  I flashed the BIOS to try to fix.   Didn't seem to make any difference.  Still won't boot from CD.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/bios/print.shtml   pity really you whent down that road to re-install winme it would have been so simple ...all you would have had to do was locate the c:\windows\options\folder and clicked the setup icon in it...but alas you flash the bios..can understand why you took this option?but there you go..maybe this will will help you>http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-50574
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 01:25:33 PM by merlin_2 »