Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS-DOS compatibility mode file system message.  (Read 4532 times)

mike_96_ws6

MS-DOS compatibility mode file system message.
« on: November 18, 2006, 05:48:07 PM »
I ran the recovery cd that came with my computer and now I get this dialog box:
Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
The graphics are pitiful also. The only option available for Display in control panel is 16 colors, 640 x 480 pixels.
Are these two issues related? and what do I do to correct this?

This problem is with my Systemax desktop;
Reliant Athlon 1GHZ / 256
S/I 128 MB PC133 16x64 SDRAM PNY
FIC AZ11 Motherboard

S/I ATI rage fury 32MB/TV CMPL

Monitor is Veiwsonic E70f and the driver provided by the manufacturere for this device has been installed.

BTW:
I'm not very computer literate, and the solution may be really simple for you all but I may need some "dummy" terms and directions.
Thanks for any help!!!  :)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re:  MS-DOS compatibility mode file system me
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »
For someone who admits to not being very pc literate you sure do have a problem which will stretch your capabilities to understand.

This is the M'Soft KB article in which they explain the possible reasons.  You give lots of info on your pc except the Operating System which would be nice to know.

Please browse the article and get back if you think you can tackle the job of diagnosing where your problem lies..

Late edit: Here is another article discussing possible virus infection.  Are you sure your pc is malware free :-?

Even later edit:  There is the probability that your problems stems from not using the best drivers...  When you ran your recovery disk did you reinstall the drivers :-?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:56:51 PM by Fed »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

mike_96_ws6

Re:  MS-DOS compatibility mode file system me
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:33:13 AM »

Even later edit:  There is the probability that your problems stems from not using the best drivers...  When you ran your recovery disk did you reinstall the drivers :-?

Thanks
Thanks for the help and links.  ;)
I now have true color 32 bit, 800 x 600 pixels and the monitor screen displays everything just fine.
  I re-installed the drivers that were included on the recovery disc, which I assumed  :-/ contained sufficient drivers for this monitor to operate correctly, but when you mentioned not using the best driver as a possible cause, I installed drivers from a separate disc that has all the software for running  S/I ATI rage fury 32MB/TV CMPL,  which, as I listed, is part of the system I have as it was when purchased new. I didn't realize I needed that disc in addition to the Systemax Recovery CD and Systemax Driver Resource CD. There are also 3 other disc that were supplied with the PC when purchased new.
 This Systemax desktop PC seems to me like a car that was delivered to the dealership from the factory with no options, then the dealer installed all options - post factory assembly.  >:(
 I have an E-Machines desktop running Windows ME, Intel Celeron, and that unit has everything needed to fully recover the OS on 2 disc, including drivers, software, ect. for all originally supplied programs,  and no other disc are needed.
 I suppose there may be an advantage to having multiple / additional, application specific disc for recovery purpose?

Anyway, thanks again for your help!!!  ;)

I will likely request your expert knowledge again in the future so you may as well go ahead and tell me what I can get you for Christmas.  ;D

I can't believe I missed listing which OS I have. :(
 It's Windows ME

Have a great day!!!
Mike