Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing PSU.. without dying, possible?  (Read 2341 times)

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Installing PSU.. without dying, possible?
    « on: November 17, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »
    I just found out that my 500w PSU is like everything else in my PC - cheap and old. Why is that? because 2 years ago i didnt know what a motherboard was.. god bless me.

So now i have to dish out 50.. no wait i live in Israel now.. 150$ for a new PSU with 30A+ for my new 8800 GTX (wich costs 1278$ by the way).

My question is this - what are the chances of me, err ah.. not burning into a fukcing crisp while trying to install the new PSU? I was told "DONT GO NEAR THE PSU.. idiot" because its dangeous (something with volts and amps.. its all very technical), but im too proud.... and cheap, to get someone else to do it.. so can anyone give me a ball-park estimate here? I'm going to the army next year, so i might aswell die now..

Chris
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:16:51 PM by Track »
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Installing PSU.. without dying, possible?
      « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »
      LOL ......... the trick is ......... are you ready for this !........... disconnect the power supply to the tower ....... Pull the plug .......

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »
        LOL ......... the trick is ......... are you ready for this !........... disconnect the power supply to the tower ....... Pull the plug .......

dl65  ::)

And u become a man-sized bread stick.. extra well-done.

Sambob

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »
        No he's right, you unplug your PC and there is no electricity to kill you flowing through it. If you want to be really safe and secure once you have unplugged it, press the power button that will use up any residual electricity that might happen to be still flowing round the circuits.

Your PC is perfectly safe for you to touch if it is unplugged. Safe for you that is, not for your PC. If you want your PC to be safe while you mess about with the insides I would suggest getting yourself an anti-static kit.

After that it is one of the easiest parts to swap. Just unplug the cables (make sure you be careful with the mothetboard one as it's got a clip on it) and unscrew the PSU from your case.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »

Interesting reply considering you were given solid advice...

:-/
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 02:42:06 PM »

Interesting reply considering you were given solid advice...

:-/

Did i forget to add an emoticon?

BTW Patio, i dont like the way u think.

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »
            No he's right, you unplug your PC and there is no electricity to kill you flowing through it. If you want to be really safe and secure once you have unplugged it, press the power button that will use up any residual electricity that might happen to be still flowing round the circuits.

Your PC is perfectly safe for you to touch if it is unplugged. Safe for you that is, not for your PC. If you want your PC to be safe while you mess about with the insides I would suggest getting yourself an anti-static kit.

After that it is one of the easiest parts to swap. Just unplug the cables (make sure you be careful with the mothetboard one as it's got a clip on it) and unscrew the PSU from your case.

You i like.  ;)

Fed

• Sage
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
              Hint: After disconnecting from the power source do not poke around inside the old PSU, it's all in the capacitors you know. ;)