Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power management has disappeared  (Read 2006 times)

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Power management has disappeared
    « on: November 18, 2006, 04:12:11 AM »
    One of my seniorweb clients reports: (Win XP Home)
    The standby/hibernate button (system turn off) has become grey. When going to <control panel><power options> the hibernate tab has also disappeared as well the bottom options in power schemes (the one that set system standby and system hibernate).
    It may have happened during the installation of new printer drivers but the user does not want to restore as apparently it took a long time to find and install the correct new drivers.

Can anybody advise how to get the power management back?
    Rob

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Power management has disappeared
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:44:08 AM »
    This usually happens when you install a device driver that is not power management compliant, so I'm afraid you've got your answer right there.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »
      Thanks Rob; I had not seen this before, but it makes total sense (in retrospect).
      I have asked the user to bring his computer to me and will start checking all drivers.
      Rob

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:33:32 AM »
      Is the printer in question particularly old?  I guess the user may just have to live with it, if that's the case.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 07:00:49 AM »
        I do not know: it is a HP laser printer and they, apparently had all kind of problems installing it in the first place.
        But it is definitely not new, as a son of the owner has returned home (temporarily) pending a divorce etc. and brought this printer with him.
        Anyway, I will get the system next week and check for myself; see what can be done. And, I guess, the printer will be there for a limited period of time anyway.
        My mistake was that I did not link the printer driver with power management.
        Thanks again for your support.
        Rob