Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows defender/virtual memory  (Read 4402 times)

dede

windows defender/virtual memory
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »
microsoft has a phone number for pc security help (866.727.2338). i was on hold over 30 minutes & gave up.  i tried to find out how to send microsof t an email or get online support for Windows Defender, but couldn't navigate thru microsoft's  website to their email address nor their online support specific to windows defender---can anyone send me this specific info?

i've been getting the following message w/ windows defender:
windows defender encountered an error: 0x80508012.  An unexpectted problem is preventing the program from scanning your computer for unwanted software.  Try to scan your computer again.

any idea how to figure out this problem?

also getting messages about virtual memory too low---i removed a bunch of stuff from the pc which only has 256 mb of ram, & c drive total size is 7.85gb w/ 1.05 gb free space.  any other suggestions?  thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows defender/virtual memory
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
Re: the Defender error, I suggest you look at some of the results of a Google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=error%3A+0x80508012&btnG=Google+Search

Re: virtual memory: right click on My Computer, select Properties, select the Advanced tab, click on Settings (under Performance), select the Advanced tab, and see what your settings are for virtual memory.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »
XP on 256 MG of RAM is the bare minimum...consider adding some RAM to that system.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dede

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
soybean, i checked my virtual memory & there is 192 mb total paging file size for all drives---do I need to change this, & if so, change to what?  

i heard a suggestion to download CCleaner to free up more space on my computer--is this a good idea?  

also saw "Reminder" on bottom toolbar when I opened pc this afternoon.  I don't know what it is a reminder for as I could not view any properties so I closed it.  Could this be a computer viur or spyware?  thanks, dede

mikewithaprob

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:18:51 PM »
XP on 256 MG of RAM is the bare minimum...consider adding some RAM to that system.
My computer runs amazingly with 256mb of ram, but I have A gigabyte of virtual memory.

dede

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
mikewithaprob:  any suggestions how i can get my virtual memory to a gigabyte?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »
soybean, i checked my virtual memory & there is 192 mb total paging file size for all drives---do I need to change this, & if so, change to what?  
Yes, I would change it.  Here's a reference which suggests 250MB on a computer with 256 MB of RAM, as the Minimum setting, but also set a high Maximum size — 700 or 800 MB or even more if there is plenty of disk space.  For more, read the article: Virtual Memory in Windows XP

i heard a suggestion to download CCleaner to free up more space on my computer--is this a good idea?  

CCleaner is a very good cleanup tool to free up some space on your hard drive and to remove some clutter from Windows Registry.  So, it's a good thing to install and use on a regular basis.  

also saw "Reminder" on bottom toolbar when I opened pc this afternoon.  I don't know what it is a reminder for as I could not view any properties so I closed it.  Could this be a computer viur or spyware?  thanks, dede
Can you post more info on that?  Do you have anti-virus software installed?  Do you have any spyware removal tools installed?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:54:49 PM by soybean »

mikewithaprob

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:38:51 AM »
mikewithaprob:  any suggestions how i can get my virtual memory to a gigabyte?
Go to My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Under Performance click Settings then set it to what ever you want it to be.

dede

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:54 PM »
soybean,  initial size virtual memory was set at 192 mb & max size at 384.  the pc said recommended size is 381 so i set initial size at 381 & maximum size at 384--will this help the problem w/ messages i've been getting that virtual memory is too low, & will this work w/ only 1.55 gb free space on c drive?

i posted: also saw "Reminder" on bottom toolbar when I opened pc this afternoon. I don't know what it is a reminder for as I could not view any properties so I closed it. Could this be a computer viur or spyware? thanks, dede
soybean's response: Can you post more info on that?  Do you have anti-virus software installed?  Do you have any spyware removal tools installed?
dede:  I don't have any more info about this weird "reminder" that shows up on toolbar---what is this critter? i have norton antivirus & windows defender that i run--is this enough?  thanks!  dede

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 12:39:07 PM »
Until we have more info on the "critter" telling you how to get rid of it would be mere guesswork at this point...

The more you contribute the faster you can arrive at a solution.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dede

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:55:41 PM »
My pc recommended virtual memory size of 381 so i set initial size at 381 & maximum size at 384--will this help the problem w/ messages i've been getting that virtual memory is too low, & will this setting work w/ only 1.55 gb free space on c drive?  

How do I collect more information to report here about the "Reminder" that pops up as an icon on the bottom toolbar on my screen from time to time?  There are no properties provided, I think it only gave me the option to open or close.   i have norton antivirus & windows defender that i run--is this enough?  thanks!  dede