Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files moved to previous folder  (Read 2273 times)

SakuraMiko

Files moved to previous folder
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:43:48 PM »
Let's see if I can so this.
I have Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite M45.

This has occurred a few times over the last two months. I had a batch of MP3 files that I burned to a CD, then re-ripped. The files appeared in the "Unknown Artist" in my My Music folder. I re-named and mvoed all of the files into another folder I use for MP3s, also in the My Music folder. In other words, I moved the files from the computer's automatic sorting into my own customized sorting.

However, for no apparent reasons, the music files have repeatedly re-appeared in the Unknown Artist folder, with the original files names, as if I never moved them. Sometimes the number of subfolders (the ones that have Unknown Album, date, and time) are different. Furthermore, all the new folders I created when I was doing my custom sorting disappear as if I had never created them.

I've tried just moving the files back again, which ends up erasing my iTunes data. The files returned to the Unknown Artist. I tried re-naming and sorting the files. This worked for a time, but, again, the files went back to their original state. Since it's a bit time-consuming to keep moving the files and restoring my iTunes, I was hoping to find out if there's any paticular action on my part that triggers this to happen.

I wish I could provide more details, but I don't always notice immediately that the files have changed. Since I haven't documented these occurences (the first time, the changed happened several tiems in a row, and the second time happened unexpectedly more thana month later), I can't provide many details, and I apologize.

However, I have noticed that it tends to happened after I run CCleaner--although I've run the program many times without it happening, the times it has happened seem to follow almost immediately after running the cleaning and fixing issues on CCleaner.
Thank you very much for helping me.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Files moved to previous folder
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:26:16 AM »
Do these music files still have no Artist name associated with them?  Are you using Windows Media Player?  

SakuraMiko

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »
Do these music files still have no Artist name associated with them?  Are you using Windows Media Player?  

If I play the files, usually the song title and artist will show up; however, they all appear in the "unknown artist folder."
I burned and ripped the files with Windows Media Player, but I play them on iTunes. The reason i don't rip them on iTunes is because it creates a new file, where what I want to do is re-link the newly ripped file back to its old data.
I was re-ripping the songs to lower their bitrate, you see. So all the songs are already present in iTunes with all the info and lyrics I created. But even after I moved and re-linked the files, they keep going back to the Unknown Artist folder.
I've been doing this for a while; only recently within the last two months has this ever happened before, and it's always the exact same files. Since then, I haven't tried ripping files again.
Ah...also, I use iTunes 7.0.2.16 and WMP 10.00.00.406. I beleive I've updated iTunes since the incident first happened, from 7.0.1 to 7.0.2.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 03:37:35 PM »
Well, I’m not sure what to make of your situation.  Regarding the possibility that CCleaner has something to do with this, I think you can probably verify this by not running the Issues scan for awhile and at the same time do some more testing of your procedure.  Or, you might experiement with not including the Multimedia items in the Applications scan and/or the Windows Explorer items in the Windows scan.  

You might also post your question in CCleaner’s forum; it’s at http://forum.ccleaner.com/.  I really suspect the problem is not CCleaner; it’s a widely used cleanup tool and its popularity is undoubtedly attributable to the fact that it’s usually quite safe to use.

My best guess is that the problem may be due to the re-ripping you’re doing and that some aspect of your procedure is causing this.  When your re-rip something (assuming you’re ripping from a CD), do you still have the song from the first ripping on your hard drive?  

If anyone else has some thoughts, please share them.

SakuraMiko

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
My best guess is that the problem may be due to the re-ripping you[ch8217]re doing and that some aspect of your procedure is causing this.  When your re-rip something (assuming you[ch8217]re ripping from a CD), do you still have the song from the first ripping on your hard drive?  

If anyone else has some thoughts, please share them.

Hmm...When I first ripped the files, the original files were stil present. However, I deleted them after moving the new files. Or did I overwrite them? I'm not entirely sure. At the present time, however, I only have one set of files. All the originals are gone.
Um, if it helps, the originals were all MP3s dpownloaded form the net. The ones I have now were all burned to CD and ripped.

I did wonder if I'd done something wrong when I was burning the files, except for the fact that I've been doing it for at least a year or so. It's the only way I know to lower bitrates.