Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: luck of the draw  (Read 2406 times)

keepitlost

luck of the draw
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:47:31 AM »
Sorry if this question is asked frequently but i tried a search and found nothing, anyway i have a great computer a friend of my dad's built for me and it has worked fine for about 2 years now. For the last few weeks when i push the power button to turn it on, it makes noise like it is starting up (fans and everything working so i know it is getting power) and then, after about 3 seconds it just dies completely and makes no noise. If i unplug it and try again it will usually do the same thing but after about 3-10 tries it eventually will boot all the way up instead of just "dying" after a few seconds. it's almost like it is powering up and then can't quite get all the way there. it reminds me of a car when the starter is going but the motor doesn't catch. any help greatly appreciated, thanks

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: luck of the draw
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:12:44 AM »
When was the last time your computer had a complete internal cleaning and all connections were checked?

It also don't hurt to remove all removeable cards,memory sticks, and clean off any  tarnish build up on the contacts with a clean pencil eraser rubbing gently,of course.

SNAP!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:14:55 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

Re: luck of the draw
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 12:52:17 PM »
Do you have a known working power supply of sufficient wattage to try?