Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook, Outlook Express and two computers  (Read 4553 times)

thetimoth

Outlook, Outlook Express and two computers
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:46:09 AM »
two computers: OLD          NEW
                       Win 98       Win Xp

old e-mail client: Outlook Express
new e-mail client: Outlook
Have PC-Linq in place and working to trasfer files.

Question

How do I copy the OE stuff to the new computer so that I can then import the OE stuff into Outlook? Actually, the better question is, FROM and TO where do I copy the above? I know how to copy, I just don't know ...

1. where the e-mail folders and addresses are that I have accumulated in OE?
2. Where do I put them on the new machine so that when I use the import wizard on Outlook, it will find and recognize them as e-mail data to be imported?

NEW:
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 Authentic AMD ~2255Mhz
ASUS A7N8X ACPI BIOS Rev 1017 Beta 005 TO, 10/31/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Total Physical memor 512.00 MB
Available 329.43 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

I've had such brilliant help here on this site. I hope someday to help some confused soul as cheerfully and efficiently as I've been assisted here on Computerhope.

thetimoth

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Outlook, Outlook Express and two computers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:50:48 AM »
To find where the OE messages on the old comp are located, open OE, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, and click on Store Folder.  Copy the .dbx folders to whichever media you're going to use for this.  Then, locate the OE Store Folder on the new comp by the same procedure and paste the OE messages there.  

When you open Outlook and start the Import procedure, just select OE as the source.  I believe Outlook will know where to find the messages.

thetimoth

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »
Thanks Soybean,

I thought I did what you said, except I didn't understand the middle part, "Copy the .dbx folders to whichever media you're going to use for this."

Here's what I did. I found the OE .dbx files by the method you brilliantly suggested.

I found OE on the new computer.

I copied the .dbx files from the old computer to the new computer into the new computer's OE folder (which I noticed, btw, didn't have any .dbx filed in it, but then, I'd not used OE on that computer and neither had the previous user, so I thought that might be normal.

Then, I clicked on Import/Export in the File menu of Outlook. I made my way through the choices and windows to the OE folder, clicked select, and got the following message:

"The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is using this file, please close it and try again."

But no other application is running or using it.

Another aside, the new computer has at least three OE folders, but I made sure that the folder I copied the .dbx files to, and the folder I navigated to with the Import/Export wizard were the same.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks, Thetimoth

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:35:43 PM »
When I said, "Copy the .dbx folders to whichever media you're going to use for this", I meant floppy disk, CD, flash drive, etc., whatever you have to copy the files to and then paste from.  

Can you open OE and see the messages on the new computer?

thetimoth

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 06:27:58 AM »
Soybean,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay in my return. Actually, no. I cannot see the old e-mails (.dbx files) that I copied from the old computer through OE on the new computer. I think I must be doing something wrong.

Thetimoth

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:35:31 AM »
Can you see the .dbx files on the new computer in an Explorer window?  If not, repeat the copy and paste procedure.  By the way, I would create a folder with an easy path name, not the default location you see on new installations of Windows.  Then, you can open OE, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, click on Change, and change  the store folder to the folder you created for the .dbx files.  For example, most of my OE messages are in D:\Outlook Express\Main Identity; a small group of messages is in D:\Outlook Express\CW Identity, since I have two Identities setup in OE.

thetimoth

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 10:48:27 AM »
Thanks so much, Soybean

I'll try that next: making a folder with a simpler path. As to the first question, yes, I can actually see the .dbx files with explorer. But the path, as you have deduced, could possibly be complex enough for me to get lost between the two looks: 1 with OE and then another via Win Expl.

I'll keep you posted.

Gratefully, Thetimoth

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:52:56 AM »
I have a folder called Outlook and change within the program to store the info there. It makes backups VERY simple.