Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: after reboot no image on monitor  (Read 4592 times)

tincoo

after reboot no image on monitor
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »
I installed a modem on a friends Compaq pent 4 machine (sorry that's all i know about it - it was her company's PC that she got for a "good deal" when they upgraded) without checking the machine running first (I know - dumb  :-[). After installing the modem I hooked the machine up to an older monitor (probably 6, 7 yrs old) and when i booted it up it said something about the windows (XP) needed to be activiated - got it activated but i did have to call it in. Seemed to be running fine other than the image was all disorted - kinda like it was in safe mode (it was not) and i figured it was just cas of the old monitor. I tried to use the modem but it wasn't connecting up so I figured that I'd run the disk from the modem.

And the disk that came with the modem wouldn't run - figured it was cas of the very low resolution. So I went into the display properties but it would not let me change the settings (640 x 400 i think it said.... and color quality was 4 bit - just horrible to see) so i figured that i'd bite the bullet and use my nicer monitor so i hooked it up and it only let me change the settings to i think 800x600 still 4 bit color quality but i figured no big deal - then i reboot - then the problems, I don't see anything after it finishs booting up. I do see the beginning screens so i know it's not the monitors or video card. I tried booting up in safe mode to change the settings but i still get a blank screen.   :-?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Chris

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: after reboot no image on monitor
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:26:04 AM »
    First, let's separate the issues.  The modem problem and the video are most likely unrelated.

Video issue:
    Did you ever see what the video was like before you installed the modem?  It may have had a problem prior to your install (which has nothing to do with the monitor) / check Device Manager to see what the video card is / have the recovery disks for the computer?

Modem issue:
    Obviously the modem isn't going to work unless it has the correct drivers.  If the cd that came with the modem doesn't work, you might try going here:  
    http://driversguide.com/

Joining is free and you get a wealth of drivers at your fingertips.  

These are places I would start.

Alan <><  :D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:32:55 AM by ale52 »
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

tincoo

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »
    I'm really just worried about the video problem cas I can't see anything to do anything.....

1 - No I did not see the video before [quote"without checking the machine running first (I know - dumb  :-[). "] but assumed it was fine cas friend had tried to connect to internet before (I saw a Internet connection trying to log on when the monitor was still working even if it was crappy) so she must have had the machine up and running.

2 - Can't check device manager cas I can't see anything - even in safe mode.....  :(

3 - I'll worry about drivers for the modem when I can actually see something on the monitor  ;)

Thanks -
    Chris
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:59:05 AM by tincoo »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:38 AM »
    So,when you plugged the old monitor you said was 6-7 years old back in
    what happened?

Have you tried booting without a modem physically installed in the computer?

Also,while you were fumbling around inside the computer you may have loosened the video card.Take it out and re-install it to make sure it is seated properly.This is assuming you don't have onboard video.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:17:49 AM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

tincoo

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:32:25 AM »
    I have tried both monitors - both get no image AFTER I see the first boot up images - so I think I'm correct in saying that the monitors and video cards are okay - since I see the compaq image and other boot up text just fine. It's after the machine is fully booted up that I don't see anything. I also think that the modem didn't do anything to the computer cas of the same reasons (I see the booting up images) - so I really don't think that I need to remove it.

I changed the display settings and rebooted - that's when I don't see anything - after booting up (remember: I do see the compaq image and other boot up text just fine). I've tried about 6 times (3 with the newer monitor and 3 with the old monitor and waited all nite to try between tries).

Please, someone has got to know what to do...
    Chris

PS Does someone maybe know how to do it (change display settings) from command prompt? Maybe I could see that.... I am able to bring up the choose mode screen with F8 key.....

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
    « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
    So you can boot in safe mode?When you first boot start tapping the F8
    key.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:11:30 PM by street1 »
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

tincoo

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
    Yes I can boot into Safe mode but NO IMAGES!! I've tried to go to VGA Mode also - nothing  :(  

all I see after the intial boot up screens - Compaq image, WIndows XP image, "dos" text, all fine - then when it is fully booted up - NOTHING!

So I can't do anything to the display settings to change them back - yes I know I did something dumb - changing settings without testing them first  :-[ :-[ :-[ but someone must know how to correct them without seeing them or maybe doing it in command line....

Chris

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
    « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »
    Do you have the restore disk or windows disk for this particular computer?

A repair install may be in order.

Windows appears to be lost at that point.

A shot in the dark may be a weak CMOS battery.

tincoo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »
    well I can't even see anything in safe mode command line....

So I guess no one has any other ideas of what do to?
    Chris

Oops sorry didn't see your last post street1 - not on hand but I'll have to ask her if she got one from the company that she bought the machine from - which i doubt that she got one cas it was just one of many machine that they had and were getting rid of cas they got upgrades... but i'll check and i guess i'll try that - so much for an "easy" job of putting in a modem and updating the virus protection!!  :)
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:46:28 PM by tincoo »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
    « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »
    I suppose you know that a CMOS battery is the cheapest repair
    possible.Only 3-5 dollars.Usually available at a local store.Just
    take the old one with you and make sure you get the right one.

You may just try removing the CMOS battery for a minute
    then put it back in and reboot for a get lucky test.

You know that resets your BIOS to defaults and sometimes
    it will then boot.I've had that work before when the BIOS
    just got a glitch.

Best to you ,  Robert

By the way why not visit and hang out with us now and again?

We really enjoy new members.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:59:28 PM by street1 »

tincoo

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:15 PM »
    So if I do this will it cas any other probs? I've never done it before - I've heard of doing this but don't know what types of problems it causes.... I don't mind having to update any drivers I can handle that type of "problem" but is there other things that happen that I will have to be on the look out for?

(I really should have done a better job of being careful of this machine in the first place - hind sight is always 20/20 huh?)

Thanks for help / info
    Chris

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
    « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
    You can read about it at below site but,it is not usually a big issue.

Yes friend,Hindsight really hurts but,it is our best teacher.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:15:27 PM by street1 »

tincoo

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 02:02:44 PM »
    Well I removed the bios battery and I still have the same problem  :( :( :(
    and then just to make sure I removed the modem - just going crazy here - still having the same nothing screen after seeing the other screens (& I know that I was successfully with removing cas machine said something about losing battery power and that the internal clock was off, etc)....

While the machine was off I felt the monitor port and it is not loose or anything and the video card is built in and looks / feels fine Also I did not go anywhere near the port when I installed the modem

I think it was just the changing of the settings that screwed me up but I thought that taking out the battery would lose the settings for the monitor??

Sorry I keep pestering you all - I still need help
    Chris

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
    « Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
    Monitor settings are not your issue.Windows boots into VGA mode
    even if drivers are not installed.

Do you have a floppy drive?

What windows operating system are we using?
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:30:48 PM by street1 »

tincoo

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
    Yes it has a floppy drive

Windows XP (as per above post - Windows XP image comes up in the boot up process that's why I don't think it's a video card or monitor problem)
    I changed the settings without testings first before rebooting - that's why I think it's a settings problem - as stated in earlier post.

I was able to view things on the monitor at first (able to open the start menu & i had gone to the control panel trying to install the modem but when i tried to use the cd the program on it wouldn't open cas the program needed higher res - then my mess up of changing the display settings and now can not see anything but the first boot up process images)

It's a compaq evo D310v machine w/ pent 4 processor - that's it for what I know about the machine

I'm going to call the woman and see if she has the restore disk....
    Chris