Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Queer problem indeed..  (Read 1882 times)

nuk1m

Queer problem indeed..
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
My computer has recently been freezing since changing cases. I'm a computer techician so I went over all the logical troubleshooting process without coming to a conclusion. However recently i've figured out the culprite. My processor is causing these random freezes.

Sometimes my computer will not get no picture, and my speakers will say 'system failed cpu test' I can keep trying and it will say the same thing, INLESS I press down on the cpu fan, pushing it closer against the cpu. I know what your thinking, the cpu fan isnt tight enough, but it is tight as possible. Now I can make this computer freeze at will by simply moving the cpu fan so very slightly. Also I monitor the cpu temps and they are always normal, 95 Farheint to be exact.

Does this sound like a defective cpu?.....defective fan?? motherboard?? really weird problem. I've tried reseating the processor which seemed to fix it for a good 3 weeks, then the problem came back.

any ideas?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Queer problem indeed..
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »
The CPU not the fan is seated incorrectly...that and/ or the CPU has a bent pin.

Carefully disassemble things and do a close inspection of the components.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

nuk1m

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
reseated cpu perfectly, same problem..

there is a tiny bit of thermal grease on the processor slot, maybe this is the problem?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 09:39:42 AM »
You should probably clean that as thoroughly as possible and see whether cleaning solves the problem.