Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick graphics card question  (Read 3011 times)

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Quick graphics card question
    « on: November 24, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »
    Which is better the Radeon X850 PRO or the Radeon X1600 PRO...also tell me if possible why you would choose that one please

(both PCI x16)

sory for any misspelling bestbuy had the huge sales today i strted work at 3 am
    BBY store 0004

GX1_Man

Re: Quick graphics card question
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »
    Well you need to talk with Track. He has been summoned.  ;)

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:24:58 AM »
      Well I have an x1600XT and it works fine for me. Not sure which one is better. As to "why" would you pick the better one? Well, self-answering ;)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:28:41 AM »
      X1600XT>X1600Pro
      I think the X850 is better than the X1600, see here - http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/X850pro-1600pro-ftopict178926.html - and here - http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=pc&message.id=59847
      They seem to suggest that the X850 has better performance, but the X1600 will make your games look nicer and will be more future proof (sort of, even though the frame rates will drop)
      Track will be able to explain it better

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:46:32 PM »
        ok beacuse i have the X850 wich i cant get to below 70C (really loud *censored* thing) this is the X850 BEFORE they ripped it off the market and repositioned the fan and then re-massed produced them....i bouth the X1600 PRO becuase it was only 99$!!! so i figured....i wont open it but we only have 5 and the deal is good for onyl one more day

oh also i read over those things...it seems they were split right down the middle....im not going to open the card incase my X850 is the better choice
        « Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:07:13 PM by Tinygnome »
        BBY store 0004

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 02:16:45 PM »
        So on those deals with only "5 minimum per store" advertised in the Sunday paper, do Best Buy employees get first pick? I have been there on several occasions, first in the door, straight to the department and was told they were already sold out. One of several reasons I don't shop there anymore. (The other biggies being I don't want an "extended warranty" on everything I buy and I certainly do not want a "special offer" on magazine subscriptions.(  ::)
        « Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 02:17:08 PM by GX1_Man »

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:22:05 PM »
          ha ha

no no if we did that we would be fired....we cant buy ANY door buster deals or PS3's or Wii's unless we stand in that line like everyone else or else we have to wait until after X-mas to purchace things

i wish we got first dips we had the wii's 5 days before we sold them same with the PS3's

if the employes want anything we have to have friends and family come in and get it for us with no discount -P although the discounts on the door busters are INSANE!!!
          BBY store 0004

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 03:59:29 PM »
            Which is better the Radeon X850 PRO or the Radeon X1600 PRO...also tell me if possible why you would choose that one please

(both PCI x16)

sory for any misspelling bestbuy had the huge sales today i strted work at 3 am

So u own the X850 Pro, and have just purchased the X1600 Pro?

The X850 Pro is MUCH better than the X1600 Pro, having over twice the memory bandwidth and game performance. The only thing that the X1600 Pro has over the X850 Pro, is Shader Model 3.0, wich is a nice feature, but not even worth an extra 20$. The only time when SM3.0 actually matters is when u want to input HDR into a game, and then u must have SM3.0. The thing abt the X1600 Pro is that it is too weak to even think abt rendering a game with HDR, so the X1600 Pro is totally worthless.

The X850 Pro is built on the R480 core, wich has 16 pipelines. However the X850 Pro, unlike the X850XT has 4 of those pipelines "locked". What u can do is "unlock" the 4 pipelines, giving u a 33% increase in performance over what u have now. That means that the X1600, with it's 4 pipelines is even more worthless in comparison to the X850.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=54&card2=350#

How to unlock the 16 pipelines on the X850 Pro:
            http://www.overclock.net/faqs/44936-how-flash-your-x850pro-xt-pe.html

*Note: The X850 Pro is overclocked considerably, cosidering the fact that it has a 130nm core.
            This results in high temperatures. In order to lower those temperatures significantly, purchase the Zalman VF900 graphics card cooler, wich costs 25$.
            « Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:03:11 PM by Track »
            That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
              thanks very much

i guess i will return this other card ASAP

danke senor
              BBY store 0004

Tinygnome

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »
                im i reading this worng but the flash for 16 pipelines onyl works for AGP cards?
                BBY store 0004

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:13:04 PM »
                  im i reading this worng but the flash for 16 pipelines onyl works for AGP cards?

It should work for both. Google it for more information.
                  That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!