Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Laptop Resurrection  (Read 2103 times)

Midian

Old Laptop Resurrection
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
Hey everybody, i'm needing some help again. A couple of years ago i decided to put a cpu (from a desktop) into my Laptop. Back then i was new to computers and thought, 'i can just throw this 1 ghz cpu in, replacing my 500mgz'. well, ever since the thing wont start up. i have tried putting the old cpu back in, to no avial. I have both cpus still and i just want this old thing to work! The Laptop is acting like there is no cpu in it, I press the power button, i hear the fan start up, then... everything dies. Any help greatly appreciated guys!
-Midian

EDIT- here are the specs
Compaq Presario 1600 XL 145
8mb Vid
20gb HD
320mb Ram
Laugh it up, i know... i told you its old.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:08:46 PM by Midian »

GX1_Man

Re: Old Laptop Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »
It's a shame to run a perfectly good laptop, but you may have done that. Are you sure the CPU fan is on correctly and wired in correctly? If it were a desktop you could remove the CMOS battery for a bit and reset the BIOS. With a laptop it is a whole different thing.

I would suggest checking with HP (who now owns Compaq) for an idea if it is salvageable.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html

Midian

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »
i had a chat with 3 of their online technicians and wow.. learned nothing... they recommended that i take the RTC battery out for 30 seconds.. and umm, thats it. Oh and they also told me the 1 ghz cpu isnt compatible even though thats what i told THEM. anyway im sure the people here can help me a little more than the idiots telling me what i already know.
Heres what ive tried-
-Taking the RTC battery out
-holding the power button 'on' with nothing plugged in (total Discharge)
-reinstalling the 500mhz CPU 3 times
and thats about all i could come up with, any other suggestions?

mcf747

Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:32 PM »
    I dont know if it is worth it to you but go to a local computer store and get some preffesional help. I know a lot of them in my area that have money back polices if they cant fix it or al least recover the data.

Midian

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:38:46 PM »
    okay, now that i have been messing with it, i can get it to turn on(and stay on). attempt to read a disk in the cdrom, but still nothing on the monitor. i plugged it into my lcd, but still, nothing.

EDIT: I Tryed to flash the bios, but still nothing... im not sure this POS is worth putting any more money into it, im just trying to get it to start up.

EDIT2: I bought a new RTC battery and that didnt solve the problem either
    « Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:15:38 AM by Midian »