Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd Drive help please, tried everything  (Read 1722 times)

soulous

Cd Drive help please, tried everything
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
hey all, need help

3 days ago my cd drive stopped playing all types of cds. it seems to of stopped right about the time i unistalled poweriso. these are the things i've tried so far:

* Unistalling the device and restarting windows and drivers are re-installed
* Deleted the upper and lower filters from the cd registy
* checked manufactures website for drivers but the device uses the build in drivers.
* used the microsoft autorun fix
* tried installing poweriso again and played around with some of the options to see if i left anything on that might of caused a problem in the registry

None of the above have worked. The weird thing is that the only disc my pc will play is the Windows reload cd?? any suggestions please i really dont want to have to reload the whole system, cheers  

heres what cd drive im using:
MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8572 (cd/dvd combo)
SCSI CDROM Class
Windows xp sp2

GX1_Man

Re: Cd Drive help please, tried everything
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
How old is the drive and has it had a lot of use. All CD drives die eventually. Luckily they are cheap to replace (unless they are a real SCSI drive and you want to replace that. IDE drives are VERY inexpensive.)

If you haven't made any changes to your system, moved it, etc. it could have just given up. Real pressed CD's are easier to read than CDR's that have been burned. There is no telling what PowerISO did, but that seems to be the thing that put it over the edge right?

You can delete all refernces to the CD drive in Device Manager and reboot. Sometimes you get lucky and that clears things up.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 05:06:24 PM by GX1_Man »