Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hide DOS window when using vbs shortcut  (Read 3183 times)

fellowCoder

Hide DOS window when using vbs shortcut
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
I'm using a .vbs shortcut to open as Access database.  Everything works great but I would like to hide the DOS window when opening the database.  As it is now, the DOS window executes for a split second and then my database opens.  I don't want the DOS window to be seen at all.  Is this possible???  

Thanks for reading!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Hide DOS window when using vbs shortcut
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
I hide my batches by making the window appear very small in the corner by setting the window size and position in the shell window properties. It doesnt hide it, but it is far less of an annoyance.

You may need to add a pause command to a batch that calls to the shortcut to have the window open to configure this, then pause before closing, since you state it appears and disappears. I am thinking though that the Window may stay open for as long as the database is opened for or is this false?

Like the following:

ECHO OFF
(whatever your vbs is to launch it) without the ( )
PAUSE
ECHO ON

Then
1.) Launch your shortcut
2.) Right-Click on the upper window of the shell window, and select Properties
3.) Select the Layout Tab
4.) Uncheck the "Let system position window" and adjust x and y coordinates and window size to the minimum.

I usually tuck it off in a far corner at the lowest right corner.

5.) you will have to agree to save this config for just the current window or all windows of this name...Select all with this name and it will save the configuration for this shortcut propeties when launched.

Good Luck...Should be easy to perform  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

fellowCoder

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Yet I think I found a much simplier approach.  All I did was change the shortcut property Run: to run as minimized when opened.  Now when I open the database from my .vbs shortcut, I don't see the DOS window at all.   :)  It doesn't make sense to me however it works so I'm going with it.  

Thanks again!!!  

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »
Cool ... Thought you already covered this ground. I should have verified this with you, instead of going to the hoakey work around.   Dave ;D