Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Wont Start Up Properly/Error Message  (Read 5536 times)

windowsguy89

Computer Wont Start Up Properly/Error Message
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:05:13 AM »
I have a computer that starts up, but right when the wallpaper shows, an error message appears:

"Error loading Explorer.exe. You must reinstall windows"

Then another error message pops up:

"Error starting program, A required .DLL file, C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL, was not found"

After I click "OK" it continues to show the error messages and nothing else loads up.  I tried loading my computer up in safe mode, but the same thing happens. I also ran Scandisk but that didn't help at all. My friend and I think that there might be a worm or virus in the computer, but I don't know how that's possible since I don't surf the web on it. I tried using the HP System Recovery CD, but the screen just freezes after I click "Ok". It also had freezing problems in the past before I got these error messages. Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, or comments?  :-? :-?

Oh and here are the specs:

HP Pavilion 8660C
Windows 98 SE
Pentium III
533MHz
20.46GB Hard Drive
128 SDram
DVD, CD-RW drives

It's very old I know, but if anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this problem I would appreciate it! Thanks.  :)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer Wont Start Up Properly/Error Message
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:58:05 AM »
Here is an MS Kb article on the first error message and here
is another.  The second one looks a likely answer to your problem.

Good luck & welcome to the forums.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:06:08 AM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:44:18 AM »
Do you have a real Windows disk to reinstall if needed? Any files to backup first? Do you have a CD burner in there?

If that is the original Windows load you are lucky it lasted this long.  ;)

I am sure once this is resolved the machine will work fine again.

windowsguy89

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
Do you have a real Windows disk to reinstall if needed? Any files to backup first? Do you have a CD burner in there?

If that is the original Windows load you are lucky it lasted this long.  ;)

I am sure once this is resolved the machine will work fine again.

All I have are the HP recovery cd's that came with the computer, which doesn't work. It does have a CD burner, and I already backed up my files before the problem started. I'm thinking of reformatting the hard drive, but I don't have a start up disk. Any suggestions on how to reformat the hard drive?

Oh and thanks for the links! I'll try the suggestions on their site after I get a start up disk. Anyone know where I can get one?

mikewithaprob

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:14:37 PM »
Im assuming you mean a boot disc? Well here is a site http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm, you can also make them in control panel but I cant remember how.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:55:20 PM »
Have you tried inserting the CD in the drive and restarting the machine? That is often how restore CD's work, rather than needing some sort of boot disk.  ;)

windowsguy89

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:36 PM »
Have you tried inserting the CD in the drive and restarting the machine? That is often how restore CD's work, rather than needing some sort of boot disk.  ;)

I've tried that numerous times before, but the screen keeps freezing after I click "ok" on the pop-up that warns about the possibility of it erasing my hard drive.

I also tried the suggestions from the two troubleshooting links above. The first one didn't solve the problem, and I don't have the Windows CD mentioned in the second link. The only CDs that came with the computer were the recovery CDs and the user guide CD. Does anyone know where I can get a Windows CD?  :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:05:11 AM »
eBay has them pretty cheap. The main thing will be getting drivers for whatever operating system you choose. Windows 2000 is better in my opinion, but the chameleon audio/modem drivers may not exist for anything other than the original operating system that came on the machine. Many older HP's are like that.

The link page is not working right now to the drivers, but here is the page right before that. Contacting HP may be an option as well. They may be nice and sell you a replacement CD since you are having problems IF you are the original owner, registered with them, etc.

Let us know.

windowsguy89

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
OK, I formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows. It seems to be working perfectly now, except for a few minor problems. For some reason the sound isn't working, and the Recovery disks won't load anymore. There's a pop-up that says the disks only work on HP Pavilion PC's, even though I have a HP Pavilion PC.  Anyone know how I can fix this?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »
    windowsguy89 .... Glad to here you have things back up and running .....
    Re the no sound , have you looked in your device manager to be sure the sound drivers are installed ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=59337&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

but I don't see a link to a sound driver for Windows 98. I recall that being some kind of combo card with the modem, etc. It was a "riptide" or a "chameleon" card.

www.driverguide.com will probably have it. You have to register (like this forum), but it's free.  ;)

http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qa5=19&qa6=456&qa7=Windows+98&dp=3&sm=b&jmd=and&fzz=b&sa=1

One of these may work.

If you download and run Everest Home we can identify exaclt which card it is. The alternative would be just to buy a cheap sound card that has Windows 98 support. Less problems in the future. If you don't use the modem, then you're set.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:32:19 PM by GX1_Man »

windowsguy89

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 09:22:52 PM »
    Ok, I checked the Device Manager to see what audio card I have, but all it says is "PCI Multimedia Audio Device". I'm going to run Everest home to check exactly what sound card I have. In the meantime, does anyone know if there is a driver for the device above?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 04:26:07 AM »
    You have to identify it to know which driver to use.  ;)

windowsguy89

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 06:29:22 PM »
    I checked my computer with Everest Home, and the name of my audio device is "Rockwell Master Riptide Audio Device". Does anyone know if there is a driver I can get for this?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 06:41:39 PM »
    google it. google has all the answers lol. I'll see what I can do.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:42:05 PM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.