Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installation Won't Continue After Reboot  (Read 2645 times)

ja816900

Installation Won't Continue After Reboot
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
[size=14]Hello. I have a computer that I buit recently that had the new Windows XP-64 edition on it. The hard drive is a brand-new Western Digital 320GB drive. After having this version of windows for a couple weeks I decided to go back the the xp corp edi. I formatted the hard drive, and began to install the corp edition. When the comp reboots during the installation process, I do not get the option of booting from the disc or the hard drive. It automatically boots from the CD, and starts the entire installation process over again. When I either take the CD out or change the primary boot device in bios to the hard drive, it says that there was an error reading the drive and to press ctrl+alt+del to restart. Bios can see the hard drive perfectly as can the installation process. Please help!!!! Everything else on the computer works properly to my knowledge, and was running properly for a couple weeks. I'm using an Asus A8N5X board with an AMD 3200+ processor and a Phoenix bios system.

Thank you much,
Josh[/size]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:01:22 PM by ja816900 »

GX1_Man

Re: Installation Won't Continue After Reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:14:25 AM »
And this is a legal XP corporate edition?

HCS

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:57:35 AM »
When the computer turns on, it will say something along the line of "Press DEL to enter BIOS Menu" look for this. Press the key it will either show a menu or a list of things, if its a menu look for the boot order in one of the selections. Change the boot order to Hard Drive first and CD second. Post if you need more help...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:59:07 AM by HCS »

ja816900

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
[size=14]It is a legal copy, and I already tried changing the boot order. When I make the hard drive bootable before the CD drive it either says that it cannot read the disc drive and to restart, or sometimes it will restart automatically. When it automatically restarts, it continues the process up until the point where windows should begin, and restarts again. I have tried resettting the default settings on the bios and there is no change. I'm not sure what else to do...... :-?[/size]

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 06:16:39 AM »
And this is a SATA drive? Did you install the SATA drivers during install? Is the hard drive seen correctly in the BIOS? Have you checked the hard drive with the free diagnostics at the WD site?

ja816900

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 06:16:53 PM »
It is a SATA drive, and I assumed that the drivers would still be there. I did have the hard drive working with the same board and everything when I was using the Windows XP-64 edition. It's just when I tried to switch back to the XP Professional that it won't work right. Unfortunately I am unable to check it on the WD site since I am unable to get the drive to work and do not have another computer capable of supporting that big of a drive.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
When you format the drive everything is gone so you will have to reload those during XP installation. Check the ASUS site or use your motherboard CD for this. Press F6 and use it when directed.

The diagnostics are independent of Windows. You can check that at any time.