Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ME problem - I'm lost  (Read 4852 times)

poolandgolf

ME problem - I'm lost
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:45:51 AM »
Working on Preachers computer, getting ready to install DSL.  Put CD in drive and nothing happened.  Went to Explorer and it shows the files and directories on the CD.  Attempt to activate the proper program by double clicking and also through the RUN command.  Nothing happens.

Go to Control Panel and clidk on internet settings nothing happens.  Try clicking all the icons in control panel and only get a response on the printers icon.

Try activating programs preacher normally uses and they seem to be functioning correctly.  Restarted many times and could not change the pattern of programs not activating.

Even attempted Safe mode and still no response from icons in Control panel other than the printer.  Same manifestations when reading the CD too.

He had another CD that appeared to function correctly.  I have never fooled with ME before and am completely stumped.  Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks [smiley=dankk2.gif]

poolandgolf

Re: ME problem - I'm lost
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »
Forgot to add, I did a restore back to the 15th of November also, that did not change anything either.

Jim

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »
Looks like a bad CD.  Try requesting another one from the ISP.

poolandgolf

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
I could see bad CD except for the fact that I cannot bring up any page in the control panel except for the printer stuff.  Any idea on that??

Jim

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »
If you are using Windows XP, select Switch To Classic View in the Control Panel.  Are all of the icons missing in the Control Panel?

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »
First of all; you dont need the ISP's dsl disk for anything. you shut down the computer, plug the eithernet cable into the jack on the computer, boot up with the dsl modem working properly, and it will work if the eithernet adapter is running properly. oh, and the problem is windows ME more than likely (if thats what you mean by ME problem). the ISP's software is probably not ME compatible.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:15:18 PM by Dead_reckon »

poolandgolf

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 09:12:34 PM »
Yes I meant Windows ME when I said ME.  The disc was given to my preacher by Embarq and supposedly connects him to Earthlink - I suppose = and allows him to create his account.

I looked at the Cd to see if it specified what systems it was compatible with, but could not find such information.  I will check again and if necessary tell him to contact EMbarq and get a ME compatible disc.

I'm still stumped by the refusal of the system to display anything in Control Panel other than the Printers.

Thanks so much for your assistance so far.

I welcome any other comments and will advise my progress.  Thanks again.

Jim

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:24:17 PM »
In the Control Panel, are all other icons missing?  If so, you should try the System Restore feature of Windows Me to try to restore the operating system to an earlier state.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:45:00 PM by pcdoc4christ »

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
Yes but he is not using Windows XP he is using ME. That sounds to me like you must have a really buggy OS, you may have to re-install or just upgrade to Windows XP  ;).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:37:40 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »
Yes but he is not using Windows XP he is using ME. That sounds to me like you must have a really buggy OS, you may have to re-install or just upgrade to Windows XP  ;).

Thanks triple F, i modified my post.  Looks like i had a real brain fart, there!

:D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:49:25 PM by pcdoc4christ »

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »

Upgrading to XP may cost lots of $$$ for the RAM, etc. to make it tolerable and may cause problems with his older peripherals.  ;)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
Yes, GX1_Man I am aware of that, but if Windows XP fixes the problem than that is a good thing. I believe a System Restore or simple re-install of the current OS will solve the problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:48:31 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

poolandgolf

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »
 :) Thanks for the discussion.  ME does have a Restore function and I did take it back to mid November but did not seem to affect what was happpening.

I haven't had a chance to do anything more with this problem since my last post.  Wish I had the computer her at my home so I could fool around with it.

I need to ask if they have the ME master disk too.  I think thats about all thats going to cure the problem.

Wanted to see how much memory was in the machine but could not get to the System in Control panel.

Anyother way to find out how much memory is in the system short of openig the case and looking ath the mem chips?

Jim

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:10 PM »
Go to the BIOS/Setup screen and see what is listed.  ;)

poolandgolf

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
What in particular should I be looking for??