Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replaced noisy Psu and think it fried the Mobo  (Read 2164 times)

Okwhatdidibreaknow

Replaced noisy Psu and think it fried the Mobo
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:53:31 PM »
Hi guys just wondering what you guys think My wifes PC powersupply was making a lot of noise for a while So one day while i was at bestbuy she spotted a stack of powersupplys and decided to get one even though IMHO they were waaaay overpriced  so we got home and i installed it and cleaned the dust from the case   ...plug it back in hit the switch....and the fans power  up   and i wait for 2 mins and nothing  so then i turn it off open the case check connectors and video card.   still nothing  switch back old PSU and notthing  ...switch vid card...ram..  nothing just a black screen even flashed Cmos. the psu that was originally in the machine was300 watts the new one is 350 and had all the proper plugs  its made by a company named dymex just wondering if you guys think it could have fried the motherboard its a old machine anyhow so i just ordered parts for a new one just wanted to know what probably happened and maby how to test the new PSU before i stick it in something else and fry another one.

dolnt remember specs that well was homebuilt machine about 5 years old  
AMD processor think a 3200  or mm sumthin like that dolnt remember the mobo make either
windows xp  /sp2,

anyhow thanks in advance

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Replaced noisy Psu and think it fried the Mobo
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »
Welcome to Computerhope.Okwhatdidibreaknow.

;D Wow!

Someone will be along soon.

My eyes are buzzing. :-?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:07:19 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

Re: Replaced noisy Psu and think it fried the Mobo
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 06:19:35 PM »
Sometimes you get a dud, especially with those cheaply constructed Chinese knock offs, regardless of price.

If you don't get a quality brand PSU and spend at least $50 you're probably getting a suspect unit. I would try another one before you give up on that motherboard. Make sure it is installed correctly. You may have knocked something loose in the process as well.

If you like take that back to Best Buy and tell them it didn't work I'll bet you could get another to try.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:22:24 PM by GX1_Man »