Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista: Ready? I think not.  (Read 21701 times)

mreeves

Re: Windows Vista: Ready? I think not.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »
I currently work in a business where there are a bunch of, shall I say "Computer Dummies."  They know it, I know it, everyone knows this.  The problem with these people is that they make up 80% or better of the workforce that deals with computer on a daily basis.  The one thing I have learned not only from my dad, but these persistent people is that efficiency is key.  Without efficiency, productivity would drop and sales would go down causing everyone to lose money.  Some do enjoy the luxuries of messing around on a computer and being able to do "neat" things, but when it comes right down to it, if you don't have a software program that's going to work the exact same as their old one but run quicker, they aren't going to like you coming into their room.  If I come into an office unannounced (meaning they didn't alright have a question for me that might be wrong with their computer), I can literally feel the room turn cold.  Not that they don't like me or anything, but simply because they know that I have something to say computer-related and they just don't have time for it.  They don't want to learn something new, they want to stick with the same programs but just make them faster.

For example: I just went into an office yesterday and the guy was pretty much "oh *censored*, now what."  I smile and showed him some Memory sticks and he looked even more alarmed!  I assured him that I was going to make is computer run about 4x faster than it currently is and suddenly he's like "Well get your *censored* over here!" and he was happy!!

My point is, it is a business fact that once a standard is set, there is really no going back unless something else happens.  For example: a better keyboard (i can't remember much about it, all I know is it was truly better), was created in like the 1950s, about 60 or more years later than our current QWERTY keyboard.  Does anyone even know of it now?  It was designed to help people in the long run but businesses were already using typewriters and could not sacrifice the learning time that it took, so the idea was quickly dissolved.  I'm sure you can look it up on google and find something about it.

So unless we can find a way to convince the typical business person that it's very simple to learn Linux and get help on it, then there is no way you'll pull them away from a Windows machine.  Likewise, even if you could get them to believe that (and I don't know because I haven't used openoffice much) Openoffice was exactly the same but free and you could get your current office files transferred, good luck... Because they're going to say "Well, my letters are in Microsoft Word.  How am I supposed to move them from microsoft word to this other *censored* thing you're trying to get me to use.  Ya know what, I'll stick with what I know" and that will be that.

By all means, PLEASE tell me how I could at least switch people over to openoffice.  Why? Because, now would be the perfect time for this company I work for as we are not only upgrading office versions soon, but buying more licenses.. ouch.. more money.

Anyway, that's my two cents...  sorry for the intrusion but I think I like this community and plan on sticking around for a bit!

--Mike

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »
To switch people to OpenOffice, tell them to head over to the site and check it out.
Or tell them to come to me, I'll tell 'em.
And the other keyboard layout . . . dvorak, I think.
It's supposed to be better than QWERTY, but I've never used it.

steelegbr

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
To switch people to OpenOffice, tell them to head over to the site and check it out.
Or tell them to come to me, I'll tell 'em.
And the other keyboard layout . . . dvorak, I think.
It's supposed to be better than QWERTY, but I've never used it.

And they cost *censored* of a lot more than other keyboards! Seriously, I spent a whole lesson at school looking into dovrak keyboards.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:10 PM »
Now would be a pain learning how to type on dvorak since I've spent all of my time on the QWERTY...

http://www.maltron.com/images/keyboards/maltron-usb-dual-l90-uk-mac-dvorak-1-large.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:01:17 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:30 AM »
Apparently- it's hard to learn but much easier and faster than QWERTY when you learn it.

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
I don't know about that, that's probably an opinion by lots of people, but would you take a look at where the return key is.  :o :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 04:01:32 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

2broke2smoke

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
you see, back to the windows vista debate where we were expressing opinions on whether or not we want to upgrade... (if we're using microsoft crap anyways)

with vista, alot of privacy is going to be taken away and all those people who use any type of pirated software are in for a pain in the A$$.  pretty much, not only will it be virtually impossible to use a pirated version of windows vista, at least not for a LONG time, it's going to check the license for every single program you decide to run on it.  i've heard also, mind you, i've HEARD, that you aren't going to be able to use "other people's" cd's for running programs either... lots of privacy and licensing issues that im sure a lot of people are not going to be willing to deal with.  Even now, for all those hackers, crackers, and pirated software users, its a pain in the A$$ because you cant play pirated games online, you have to find key generators to use a working serial code key when you install the program, and then for a lot of newer programs you need to install cracks in order to get them to run... now imagine doing that after you install vista, when it will be 124235094508534 times harder and worse...

I have spoken my thoughts.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 01:46:44 PM »
I gather you use pirated software.  And, you have ants in your pants; that's why you keep dancing around.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:47:41 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »
It's a shame that companies expect people to pay for their products, eh?  ::)

fffreak

Adviser

• Yes
    • JSPCRepair
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »
I gather you use pirated software.  And, you have ants in your pants; that's why you keep dancing around.

LOL ;D ;D ;D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 03:38:21 AM »
More chortles.

GX1_Man

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »
Vista will be even worse than XP

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 07:55:13 AM »
I need a whole new acronym to express my mirth . . . more than COL . . . ROTFCMAO!
Lol.

2broke2smoke

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »
lol... pirated software? not sayin that i do, but doesnt  everyone have at least 23408309324 pirated programs that uses a computer frequently? 1/2 ppl i know have pirated versions of windows... i mean come on, bill gates already has enough money, so he expects those people who are workin low income jobs to spend their whole paycheck to make their computer work, and then have to spend half their time maintaining it and fixing the f'in BSOD's and error messages? lol... i think not.  so yes, vista is goin to be a pain in the a** for most people, and im really likin that pic a couple comments above mine with the windows xp key/shoe size/mother's maiden name lol

2broke2smoke

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
and yes... i do have ants in my pants.