Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor / Vid Card / No Display  (Read 2029 times)

i1011i

Monitor / Vid Card / No Display
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »
Hello. I am putting together a computer myself. I am having an awkward problem I do not know how to fix. Essentially the motherboard I have (epox 8HDAI Pro) does not have a monitor port on it, so I plug the monitor into the graphics card. (I know it's an ATI, and its about 2 years old but at the time was a high end model. It has 256 mb of ram on it I believe.) The problem is, when I installed windows and when I boot the computer the monitor was fine, but when I try to boot to the OS to finish the installation the monitor shuts off (saying there is no signal.) So my assumption is it is trying to change to an on board port since windows I guess does not know to use the card for video input. But I dont know how to fix this since I cannot get into windows (as there is no monitor) and I have no where else to plug it into. Is there any solution to this problem? Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Monitor / Vid Card / No Display
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 04:17:15 PM »
First make sure the card is firmly seated.

Is this an old power supply? What is the make and wattage?

What happened to the previous motherboard? Sometimes they can be killed by a bad power supply.

Do you have a friend that can load you another video card to try?

Was this a new motherboard? Did you check the troubleshooting tips on the manual on CD or at the manufacturer's web site?

i1011i

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »
Well it is my old computer, and I am just returning to it. I believe the old power supply did fry the old motherboard. The motherboard was replaced, as well as the processor and the power supply. The powersupply in it now is 500w ATX power supply. The card is pretty firmly attached and I do not know anyone to borrow another card from. It works fine until windows itself is booting, thats when it shuts off. I remember having this problem 2 years ago but I do not remember how I fixed it.

I just found another graphics card and plugged it in, and it works fine with that one. But it doesnt work with the better one. It is only slightly better though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:28:27 PM by i1011i »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:40:37 PM »
This means the better one is no longer better as it is on its way out.

p.s. Are you fastening the screw into the chassis that holds the vid card in place BTW ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 07:48:54 PM »
A 500 watt what?

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »
    A 500 watt what?

What do u mean?

What i want to know is the name of the PSU and the manufacturer.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!