Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: V9999GT (AGP)  (Read 2014 times)

Eerazor

V9999GT (AGP)
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »
I have run into a spot of trouble after playing a game. The game caused the Monitor to shut off and the computer to go into standby mode.

Upon restart I get a POST message One long, 2 short. According to the A7N8X-X board thats a VGA adapter problem.

So, I did the following:

Changed ram, ran minimum hardware configuration, bought a new power module all to no avail.

I changed the adapter to a really old TNT2 card and the computer works fine, just not with the V9999GT card.

I phoned asus about it and they told me to do what I just did.

The monitor gets a signal, the lights on the card work as does the fan. It even responds by powering down a little due to lack of heat creation, yet the screen remains black and the POST message is doing my head in.

Any ideas?

GX1_Man

Re: V9999GT (AGP)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
I have run into a spot of trouble after playing a game. The game caused the Monitor to shut off and the computer to go into standby mode.

Upon restart I get a POST message One long, 2 short. According to the A7N8X-X board [highlight]thats a VGA adapter problem. [/highlight]
So, I did the following:

Changed ram, ran minimum hardware configuration, bought a new power module all to no avail.

I changed the adapter to a really old TNT2 card and the computer works fine, just not with the V9999GT card.

The monitor gets a signal, the lights on the card work as does the fan. It even responds by powering down a little due to lack of heat creation, yet the screen remains black and the POST message is doing my head in.

Any ideas?

So you changed everything except the thing that it pointed to? Were both cards AGP? If so, it seems you need a new card to me.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »

Upon restart I get a POST message One long, 2 short. According to the A7N8X-X board [highlight]thats a VGA adapter problem. [/highlight]
    So, I did the following:

Any ideas?

So you changed everything except the thing that it pointed to? Were both cards AGP? If so, it seems you need a new card to me.

1. That card is like a *censored* son of the 6800 family, as in its an offshoot of a 6800, made by GT. Its abt the same as the 6800 GT performance wise.
    It uses an AGP x8 slot.

2. Why change everything if u saw that the problem was just the card?
    Change the card and everything will be fine. Get an X800GTO for 130$ or an X1950Pro for 200$.
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:36:14 AM by Track »
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Eerazor

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »
    Thank you!

Well, I tried everything because the "so-called" Asus Technical expert on the other end of the hotline said that the chances were very high it was either RAM or Power Module even though I tried to explain it to him that the POST indicated the Card.

I believe it is buggered too, even if the monitor is getting a signal and even if the fan and lights are working as they should.

Moved up to an FX5200 for now, before saving for an AM2 system and heading to PCI-E. I guess this is just one of those "lost causes". First HW failure I had in the "expensive" range, but the system is old and has held together well for a few years, just the card was rather young.

As for the ATI suggestion.... well, its ATI... nice cards but a driver nightmare. Thank you for the suggestion but, once nVidia, always nVidia, had my fair share of ATI experiences, none of them positive in the gaming area.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:24 AM »
      The FX 5200 is the worst card i can think of.. but it will do u for a few weeks if ur not thinking of playing games.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!