Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BigFix seems redundant with Win XP  (Read 5441 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
BigFix seems redundant with Win XP
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:27:26 PM »
My mother recently received an eMachine that someone gave away.  It's a T1440 model (1.4GHz Celeron, 256MB, 40GB HD).  I used to Restore CDs to restore it to the original software configuration.  That software includes an update utility called BigFix.  I was not familiar with it and did some research.  I found nothing negative about it, but it just seems redundant with Win XP, since BigFix identifies updates to Windows and seems to basically do the same thing as Windows Updates.  BigFix really seems to be a tool for IT support in an organizational environment.  Their home page is http://www.bigfix.com/

I'm inclined to remove it.  I think it's going to be confusing to my mother.  Just wondering whether anyone is familiar with it and, if so, how you like it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:29:27 PM by soybean »

Fed

• Sage
    Re: BigFix seems redundant with Win XP
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:41:47 PM »
    It doesn't look like anything a single user would need.
    Why not a clean install Soybean?

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:16:38 PM »
    I believe the "Restore CD" accomplished a clean install.  When I started the restore, I discovered that it was actually a Norton Ghost installation of the original configuration.  I do not recall seeing a screen that gave me options such as formatting and partitioning.  Do you think I still should have approached this in a different way to truly get a clean install?

After the restore procedure, Win XP was back to the original (pre-SP2) Win XP.  I then installed SP2 and all updates.  

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:53:36 PM »
    Ooh, I used to have Bigfix on my Evesham.
    It seems to identify issues with the machine and suggest knowledge base articles, updates and the like.
    I had no use for it so I uninstalled it, I do my updates manually.
    Just my $0.02.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
    Thanks for replies, Calum and Fed.  I removed it via Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, but found it was still on the Programs menu and would still start if I clicked on it.  I ran CCleaner and used opened it's Uninstaller to see whether it showed BigFix.  It did not.  I also downloaded an uninstall utility called ZSoft Uninstaller.  It also did not show anything for BigFix in it's list of uninstallable items.  

I'm inclined to manually removed the files for folders for BigFix and maybe manually delete Registry entries for it.  

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
      Because you're more or less at day 1 with this computer I think you would be better off if you formatted and gave your mother a fresh start.
      Of course you would need that shiny XP disk or a used (LOL) W2K disk.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
      « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:37:54 PM »
      All I have to work with is the Restore CD.  Of course, that had stuff my mother doesn't need, such as CompuServe, AOL, Winamp, Real Player, Viewpoint Media Player, etc.  I removed those things before updating Windows, including SP2, and then installed AVG, Spybot S & D, and CCleaner.  

I did manually remove the files for BigFix and also removed a few Registry entries for BigFix.  I also downloaded and ran Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.  It removed additional entries for BigFix.  Still, the Registry contains an entry which keeps reappearing in scans by Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.  I've tried to manually remove that and it can not be removed.  

I could start over and repeat the restore, then try removing BigFix before doing anything else.  Guess I'll either do that or leave it as is.  

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »
        Provided this BigFix isn't causing any problems, I'd be tempted to leave it be.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
          « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
          just change the msconfig so it doesnt start up and confuse her.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 05:13:04 PM »
          If there is an i386 folder on the restore disk couldn't you just use WinLite and slipstream SP2 and the appropiate drivers needed and burn them to a CD and do a clean install ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 07:01:24 PM »
          just change the msconfig so it doesnt start up and confuse her.
          When I turned the computer on today, I tried running msconfig and it was not available.  I did run it yesterday and BigFix did appear there.  I don't know whether something I did yesterday caused msconfig to disappear.  Anyway, I decided to start over and repeat the restore process.  Soon after restoring the system to it's original configuration again, I opened Add or Remove Programs and removed BigFix.  However, I soon realized this merely removed it from the Add or Remove Programs panel.  It was still on the Programs menu and, upon restarting, it's icon reappeared in the Notification Area.  Then, I did a Google search, went to the BigFix website, and found that they have a removal tool.  I downloaded it and used it. I also installed CCleaner and ran it; the Issues scan found quite a lot of stuff, including some BigFix items.  

At this point, the only remant of BigFix that I'm aware of is a Registry entry which I tried to manually delete; but, it can not be deleted.  I think I'll just keep the computer for few days before returning to my mother, to make sure BigFix does not reappear and no other abnormal behavior develops.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
          « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:33:28 PM »
          If there is an i386 folder on the restore disk couldn't you just use WinLite and slipstream SP2 and the appropiate drivers needed and burn them to a CD and do a clean install ? ?
          That sounds like a good idea.  However, that restore disk is actually a Norton Ghost backup of the original system and I find no I386 on the CD.  

I encountered another weird situation today with this computer.  I wanted to remove Adobe Reader 5.0.  It was not in Add or Remove Programs.  So, I found an installation file for Adobe Reader 5.0, installed it on top of the existing installation to make it appear in the Add or Remove Programs panel, and then removed it.  

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:18 PM »
          I'm in a good mood...

Here Ya Go Soybean
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Neil

Expert
          • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
            « Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 08:28:37 PM »
            As a possesive pronoun, "its" should not have an apostraphy.

-Grammar police

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
            « Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »
            I'm in a good mood...

Here Ya Go Soybean
            That article assumes the Norton Ghost is installed on a computer; then, it is used to extract the file.  I don't have Ghost.