Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows isn't saving my settings  (Read 3090 times)

JaySilverman

Windows isn't saving my settings
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:33:49 AM »
I decided to run a registry cleaning program a couple of nights ago without setting a system restore point, which may be one of the stupidest decisions I've ever made.

Right now, Windows XP is not saving my settings and acting rather peculiar. In particular:

-When I boot up, it does not remember to display the Quick Launch bar. I have to put it on manually everytime.
-My folder toolbar settings are never saved - when I click on My Computer, I want the "Address Bar" toolbar to always show. As soon as I click off My Computer, the setting is forgotten and the address bar is gone.
-When I boot up, my desktop icons are arranged by name and not in the custom arrangement that I created for them.
-Most frustratingly, once I arrange my desktop icons back into the order I want and align them by grid, they instantly revert back to the old "by name" settings as soon as I make any kind of application change. (I'm not sure I described this well, so I'll give an example. Let's say I go into My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options, View. If I check any box or make any change and hit "apply," all of the icons revert back to the by name order and my 'align by grid' setting is completely forgotten despite the fact that my change had nothing to do with desktop icons).

I have tried restoring my system to a variety of points within the last week, but I have had no success; whenever I try, Windows XP gives me an error message upon booting up that says "Your computer cannot be restored to xxxxxx." I have tried making some registry additions on the Kelly's Korner website at the advice of other people. I am completely stuck, frustrated, confused and unsure of what to do next.

I am quite certain that this problem is somehow linked to the registry alterations I made a couple of days ago, but have no way of knowing for certain. It appears that my Windows XP is locked into a particular brand of settings that I do not want. But I could be quite incorrect about this. If there were somehow a way to bypass my System Restore problems, it seems as if the issue would correct itself.

I hope have described this well enough that someone can come along and help. If anyone has any ideas, please do let me know. Thanks.

Best,

Jay
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:34:04 AM by JaySilverman »

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

Re: Windows isn't saving my settings
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:51:43 AM »
    Tried booting in safe mode.  :-?
    Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

GX1_Man

Re: Windows isn't saving my settings
    « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:30:05 AM »
    Do you have a real Windows CD? You could do a repair install and maybe get by.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Registry playing about, either manual or via a program can sometimes result in a FUBAR'ed system.