Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple problems installing XP  (Read 4119 times)

PabloMcAces

Multiple problems installing XP
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
Ok.  My friend gave me their old Pentium 3 and I thought I would reinstall XP on it.  I put in my XP start up disk, to get to dos, and I get the A: prompt.  I can't however seem to get to the C: where I can type format c: and erase the past.  I get a message saying Invalid Drive Specification.

Anyway to get around this I downloaded a 6 disk floppy start up version of XP from Microsoft.  This lets me run my XP cd, but it's time consuming.  Anyway I eventually install XP after some problems but then I get asked to enter my username.  I enter Paul, and then I'm asked for a password for the name I just entered!!!  I've tried going through in safe mode and using the administrator, but I don't have his password either.  Can anyone help me!!!!!??    How can I load a fresh copy of XP onto the computer without all the time consuming hassles?  Your advice would be much appreciated.

Pablo. :-?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Multiple problems installing XP
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:32 PM »
    First off, you shouldn't get an A:\.  You should get Windoze startup.

Secondly, go into the BIOS (usually hitting the Delete key @ boot) and make sure your boot process puts the cdrom drive first.

When you get that set up you should be able to boot to the cd and do a clean install of Windows.  

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

PabloMcAces

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:26:54 PM »
     ;D
    Alan, Thanks for your rapid reply.  I've tried setting cd rom as first thing to load up, but the computer seems to be skipping it and going straight to the hard drive.  As a result I tried setting all three settings to the cd rom.  I get a message now saying DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.  I only get to the A: screen when I put my start-up disk and set the floppy as first or after the cd rom to start up.  When I set the hard drive to start up, it takes me to a page when all I can do is enter a password or do nothing else.  Hope this is info.  Thanks again for your interest and help folks.
    Pablo  :-?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
    Insert the XP CD.

Boot to an A: prompt since the other method is giving you a hard time.

At the A: prompt type D: and hit Enter...(or whatever drive your CD is )

At the D: prompt type Setup and hit Enter.

The installation process will now start. Follow the directions and make sure you wipe the C: partition and do a clean install.

You have backed up all the data you need already haven't you ? ?

Because this will erase that drive and there's no turning back.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PabloMcAces

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:41:47 PM »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've gone to the A: prompt and typed c: d: E: H: and I keep getting the message invalid drive specification.  It seems the the computer wont recognise the cd drives in dos mode.  I've also tried typing format C: etc with no progress.

Pablo  :-?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:00:06 PM »
    Grab a WinME OEM bootdisk from bootdisk.com and try that. It will ask "boot with CDRom support" hit Y and enter to continue.

PabloMcAces

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »
    ok.  Got the boot disk.  Thanks for that.  Now I've tried to format the c: by typing format c: and I get the message Format not supported on drive c:, format terminated.    I thought then maybe I could run XP and try formatting through it so I typed Setup while in d drive, my cd rom.  Got the message saying This Program cannot be done in Dos mode.  All I would like to do is erase everything from the past and install XP.  Any ideas?  Help much appreciated. :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 04:28:13 AM »
    Are we making this a LOT more difficult than it is?  ::)

Start the machine with the legal XP CD in the drive. You can format and install from there. You do not need to do this as a separate step. You just have to make sure your machine is set to boot from the CD first in the BIOS. Any Pentium 3 machine can do it.

If you cannot do this you either have a hardware problem or a bad CD.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

PabloMcAces

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:37:20 AM »
     :-?

I set the hard drive in the bios as the third to load after floppy and cd.  I put the cd in the machine.  It goes to the Windows XP start up page asking me to type in my password!!  For the name Paul!! Which is me!!  I think I have to erase hard drive manually??

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »
    So it's skipping the CDRom as the secondary boot device....this can only mean one thing.

You need a Genuine XP CD...

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
    Or the CD Drive has problems.

PabloMcAces

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:29:04 AM »
     :-?

Ok My XP is not exactly genuine.  But it works on the pentium 4.  Is there any way I can erase the hard drive and install on the pentium 3?

Pablo

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 01:54:13 AM »
      PabloMcAces......  Is the cd your trying to load bootable ?
      Because if it is , and you have set the boot sequence to cd-rom first boot and then saved the bios changes, put you cd in the cd-rom and then rebooted ......
      It will begin loading .....and then you will get the message that all data on the partition wil be lost did you wish to continue ....... answer yes ......... select how you want the drive formatted and away it goes .....
      Did you check the link that GX1_Man gave you ?

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:13:49 AM »
      And yes, you need a real Windows CD - now and later.  ;)

PabloMcAces

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 11:02:57 PM »
       :)

Ok bought a new copy of XP for the 2 computers.  It works fine on this one, but I set the bios to load the CD Rom first on the P3 but it doesnt load.  Instead it skips to the hard drive.  Tried setting all 3 on the bios to CD ROM But that didn't work either.  Any suggestions?  Your help and interest so far has been much appreciated.