Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: icons in notification area  (Read 2463 times)

that10pin

Topic Starter

Rookie
    icons in notification area
    « on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
     :-[None of my icons appear in the notification area except Zone Alarm even  though they are checked in MSCONFIG. When I install new software they all show after the installation, but they don't appear after a reboot. The icons are my sound, anti virus plus a few others that are checked for startup.

pcdoc4christ

Re: icons in notification area
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »
    You have to choose the option to display the icons in the Notification Area.  This option should be in the settings for your antivirus program.  To add the sound icon to the notification area:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. If you are using Windows XP, select Switch to Classic View
    3. Open the sounds and multimedia applet
    4. Select the Show Volume Control check box
    5. Select Apply and OK

If you cleared the check boxes for the programs in MSCONFIG and then selected the check boxes in MSCONFIG, you might now have to disable and enable the show icon in Notification Area option for each program.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:00:22 PM by pcdoc4christ »

that10pin

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »
      Followed your instructions and got all my icons back, but after rebooting the sound icon dissapears again. Tried several times with the same results. Glad to have the others back  so thanks for the help, I think I can live without the sound icon.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »
      Make sure the check box for SNDVOL32 is not cleared in MSCONFIG.  If that does not do it, reinstall the drivers for your sound card or motherboard sound controller.