Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP freezes on loading and after  (Read 3463 times)

andy.j

Windows XP freezes on loading and after
« on: December 09, 2006, 06:09:51 AM »
Im experiencing a problem with windows XP freezing and not responding to ctr-alt-del or and commands. It usually freezes at the applying network settings screen when loading but occasionally will log on and start windows then will freeze after a few minutes. I can log in in safe mode with no problems which make me believe it is a software rather than hardware issue (or at least it is not a hard drive issue)

The last action I did before the problem was an automatic update of adobe acrobat.

I have tried using system restore to revert to previous system states, and as a last resort reloaded an old registry back up I made 6 months ago. This did not solve the problem.

I am once step away from reloading windows but would prefer not to.

The details of my system are:
Toshiba satelite M40 (about 1 1/2 years old)
pentium M2Ghz
1G Ram

Thanks for your time

Andy

GX1_Man

Re: Windows XP freezes on loading and after
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:57:25 AM »
You can try a repair install, but if that doesn't work a good format nd reinstall will fix all Windows problems.....for a while.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

This will require a real Windows CD, not a restore CD or a restore partition.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
    Try removing the adobe virus & use foxit instead.

andy.j

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:30:34 AM »
    ok just an update.

I decided to reload windows.

I used knoppix to back up the data from my hard drive, and attempted the re install with a quick format on the drive.

The install proceeded untill the installing devices stage, then rebooted the computer and gets stuck in a loop installing devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Andy

andy.j

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:46:01 AM »
    I think ive found the problem. :'( It might be that one of my devices has a problem, based on this link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267/en-us

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
    And what about this:

3. If the log files do not indicate the cause of the issue, try removing hardware to determine which device is causing Setup to stop responding. a.  Remove any external hardware, such as attached devices that are not required for setup (for example, printers, external serial devices, and Universal Serial Bus [USB] devices other than the primary keyboard).  
    b.  Remove any internal cards that are not required for setup, such as sound cards.
    c.  Disable items in the basic input/output system (BIOS), such as ports or power management features, and on-board devices that are not required for setup to complete, such as modems.

4. Try to move or reseat the cards in the Peripheral Connect Interface (PCI) slots.

andy.j

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 06:21:03 AM »
    Thanks I saw that, but its a laptop so I cant easily get inside to remove sound cards etc. Also I dont know anyhting about the bios. There are some settings I can adjust at start up but none of them are really hardware related. I have the latest bios settings from toshiba would it help to install them?? How would I do this? Use a dos boot cd and install them from dos?

Im waiting for a system recovery CD but its going to take 10 long days.

Thanks again for your help.

andy.j

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:50:57 AM »
    Ok I found this great suggestion for solving this problem.Which I will try now but my dos skills areŽnt great so I dont know if its going to be out of my league

http://nitinpai.wordpress.com/2006/09/23/xp-installation-the-34-minute-hiccup