Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help choosing a video card fits  (Read 8789 times)

Track

Apprentice

Re: help choosing a video card fits
    « Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 06:16:35 AM »
    This topic sure has wandered away from the original question.  ::)

Yeh, but it has been answered.

Can u BELIEVE what patio said? Har dee har har!

You are confusing 2 different issues here...

Of course a swapfile uses unused HDD space, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that.

The issue i was addressing is the fact that if your free space on any drive regardless of size falls to less than 15% than Windows and any apps you are running will certainly struggle...

Since his report stated free space was at 9% i made the comment i made and i stick by it.

Feel free to dispute it if you will.

That dosent make any sense. The only reason why the system will struggle is because there is not enough RAM and the PC would need to use Virtual RAM, but since it has no more space on the HDD it will not be able to allocate anymore Virtual RAM.

That being said, ive been using my 2 PCs with less than 5% of free HDD space for months and i have not noticed any change. I cannot prove that they work the same, but can u prove that u need for 15%? I dont know where u got that, and i doubt anyone will be able to explain why u need it.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

GX1_Man

Re: help choosing a video card fits
    « Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 07:04:20 AM »
    Kelly has an explanation:

Note: The volume must have at least fifteen percent free space for Defrag to completely and adequately defragment it. Defrag uses this space as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than [highlight]fifteen percent free space[/highlight], Defrag only partially defragments it.

Here's the whole link.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_defrag.htm

This just adresses the defrag angle of XP performance. There are many others.