Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Download Video From Web Site  (Read 2886 times)

Baraka

Can't Download Video From Web Site
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:31:57 AM »
I have Internet Explorer and Windows XP OS. I found a web site: http://www.wwltv.com/holidaygrunch2.htm

with a video that I want to download and burn onto a DVD RW Player. How can I do this? The video was done using Windows Media Player(see URL above).

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can't Download Video From Web Site
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
Are you saying you can play the video while connected to the Internet but you can't "download" it?  I believe Windows Media Player can not normally be used to capture/save streaming media.  Does that website you posted sell downloadable videos?  If so, then you must have a username and password to get them, right?  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:53:37 AM by soybean »

Baraka

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »
No, it doesn't. It's not for sale or obtainable, other than some way to download or copy the video. I guess I'm out of luck...

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »
    It uses MMS (Microsoft Media Services) to stream the unicast data, which already means its gonna be tricky to get. It does not seem to save it to the temporary internet files, which means you can't copy it from there, and you can't do a direct link save. So you are gonna have to live stream save it. This can be done using (open source) VLC Media Player http://www.videolan.org
    Download it from there, and install the program.
    Open VLC up, and either press Ctrl+F, or go to File>Open File..., or Click the arrow that looks like the open button on your cd drive.
    On the website, choose the video that you want to save this time. Instead of left clicking it, right click it and choose "Copy shortcut".
    Go back to VLC, and where it says "Open", paste the web link there. In the "Advanced Options" section, click the "Stream/Save" button, then click "Settings".
    Ignore the "Stream output MRL", it does this section automatically. Instead, in the "Outputs" category, click the "File" box, then the "Browse" button, and then browse to the folder you wish to save the video in. Type "filename.wmv", replacing "filename" with whatever you want to call it, and ".wmv" without whatever extension the video used on the website, which I believe is still ".wmv" from memory. For "Encapsulation Method", I would choose either MPEG 1, or MP4. For "Transcoding options", check the "Video codec" and "Audio codec" boxes, then choose the appropriate options. I would probably choose WMV2 for the video codes, and MP3 for the audio codec, just for compatability reasons. Then press "OK" at the bottom of that window. Press "OK" again at the original "Open" window. It will now play through the video (but won't display it to you). When it gets to the last one second, it may or may not play it. If it doesn't, just click stop, then proceed to open the file normally from your hard drive with either Windows Media Player, or VLC media player. If it doesn't work with Windows Media Player, it will work with VLC, because VLC is good  ;D   Hope that helps.