Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell computer crashed, help with codes  (Read 2308 times)

Phyllis_D

Dell computer crashed, help with codes
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:06:24 PM »
Hello, I have a friend who has a dell dimension L933R and it will no longer work.  He called Dell and they sent him the recovery disks and also to reinstall windows xp and sp2 but the computer won't recognize the disks.  When he turns it on it tells him he has a fatal error and this system is shuttting down.  It gives him two codes: C000021A and 0XC0000022.  He called Dell back and they said the hard drive has crashed.  He and I are both computer illiterate.  

Is this computer ruined?
Is there something we can do with the disks and codes?
If he purchased a new hard drive can he use his recovery disks on the new hard drive to install windows xp on his computer?
He purchased it used, is it too old to invest money in?

Thank you for your help.

GX1_Man

Re: Dell computer crashed, help with codes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Please post the Service Tag for the machine (on the outside of the case and can be soon in the BIOS (F2 when the computer is restarted and you see the Dell lofo).

Is this computer ruined?

Probably not

Is there something we can do with the disks and codes?

Use the disks to reload a new hard drive, if needed

If he purchased a new hard drive can he use his recovery disks on the new hard drive to install windows xp on his computer?

Yes

He purchased it used, is it too old to invest money in?

Not necessarily. If a hard drive fixes it and it meets his needs, he will be good to go.

You can download the free diagnostics from the appropriate drive maker's site to test that drive. If unsure, use SeaTools from www.seagate.com  The download will create a bootable floppy diskette that can run all of the diagnostics.

Phyllis_D

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »
Thank you!  I am going to print this out and give it to him.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »
Let us know how it goes. We'll leave the light on.  ;)