Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with programming hot keys.  (Read 2805 times)

jessesen

Need help with programming hot keys.
« on: December 16, 2006, 03:29:19 PM »
Can anybody tell me how to program “hot keys” on my key board?  For instance, my home page is Google.  Could I set up a hot key too open my home page, something like CTRL, Alt, G.?  Also I have pre-named keys, such as “shopping”, “search”, “e-mail”.  Is there a way to reprogram those keys to open up the pages I want?  For instance, could I program the “shopping” key to open up amazon.ca.

Any help or tips you can give me will be very useful.

Deucalion

Re: Need help with programming hot keys.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »
Hi.  By "hot keys" are you refering to macros? If so, there's many ways to approach the situation.  Firstly, I suggest doing a google search on "macros" and "browser".  

By the way, maybe you should've posted this somewhere else, as this particular forum is for computer hardware.

jessesen

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Sorry, I thought that the key board was considered computer hard ware.  

I thought they were called hot keys. I guess some people call them short cut keys.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:45:41 PM by jessesen »

Deucalion

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
Can anybody tell me how to  [size=14]program [/size][/b]“hot keys” on my key board?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
What make and model keyboard do you have?  Do have the software for it installed?  Do you know all the options available to you in that software?

With my Logitech keyboard, Logitech's SetPoint software allows assigning various shortcuts or keystrokes to various keys.

Deucalion

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:22:51 PM »
This is just a quick shortcut for your internet but run with me:

Create a shortcut of your browser on desktop, right click it > properties > shortcut.  The space where it says "shortcut" is where you can select a key that will launch your browser without clicking it.  This can be done with any program.  

Shortcuts within the browser however differ from developer to developer.  For example, in firefox I can bookmark a site and have it conveniently launch by clicking it's icon below the address bar.  Not quite a keyboard shortcut, but it's just an example.