Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS battery replaced  (Read 8245 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    CMOS battery replaced
    « on: December 16, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
    Well, I finally have to report that the CMOS battery in my old computer has finally been replaced by my uncle.  Now a new problem has arisen, which I hope to eliminate.  The battery is new, I assume.  When I boot up the computer, even when I restart it, it prompts me for the time and date.  I set it, but it resets back to January 01 1990 every time.  Any suggestions on getting it to hold the information?  I'm not going for another battery, as I'm not going to open up the computer.

GX1_Man

Re: CMOS battery replaced
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »
    That battery is dead, the correct values have not been set since it was changed or it is not inserted correctly. Is it in backwards? That is the default date for your BIOS.

Be sure and set the date and time in the BIOS and see if it will retain that information.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
    No one seems so desperate to report back the good news
    when they are all fixed up.

Did you tinker with that CMOS battery,or not?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »
      GX1_Man, are you sure that the battery is dead?  It was in sealed factory packaging before it was put in.  I've checked everything else in the BIOS setup, and can confirm that the other settings have not been lost.  (Everything else is detected.)  I'm just having a date and time issue, as it seems.  This is not affecting the system's ability to run any games.  Unlike most computers I've seen, this one has a board on top of the motherboard which holds the cards in place.  The CMOS battery cannot be accessed without removing it.  I will need to learn how to avoid the risks ESD before attempting that.  I will not go anywhere near the insides of that computer at this time.

And no, the battery is not in backwards.  The area with the text on the battery is facing away from the motherboard, like it was with the original CMOS battery.

Also, I have tried setting the time and date in the bios, and it does not help.  The time and date reset instantly when I exit, even if I save.
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:24:58 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
      I don't know the history of the battery. If it was a new and fresh one of the appropriate type that should work. Have a read here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER12-c.html

I would try another battery first. What if you change other settings in the BIOS and restart. Are they retained?

After a quick review of your last 50 posts I am aware of multiple problems with that machine.
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:54:22 PM by GX1_Man »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:21:23 PM »
        The BIOS is asking for a password, GX1_Man.  I'm thinking that unless I can get it right, it won't let me change the time.

Edit:  That's odd.  Often it doesn't ask me for a password.  Sometimes it does though.  *Shrugs*  At any rate, if it does, I'll try the next three passwords, until I get the password right.  I printed them off of the password page here at Computer Hope.  

I did try changing some other settings, like the audio settings within the bios.  These affect the ISA card, and it did let me keep those changes.  It is only the time clock that I can't get to stay at the proper time when I turn the computer off.  I guess I'll just have to set it in Windows.  At least until I get the BIOS password correct.
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:42:54 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
        If it truly is a BIOS password then you should not be able to get into the BIOS at all to change any settings. Try disabling the CDROM drive in the BIOS, unplug the machine from the wall for 5 minutes and restart it. Were the changes saved?

What is the make/model of the computer or motherboard? If you don't know download and run Everest Home, make a report and post it here along with your results of the above test.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:00:50 PM by GX1_Man »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 09:41:51 PM »
          No good.  The CMOS is losing settings.  The replacement battery must be bad.  I may have to live witht this.  Eventually I'm guessing we will have to get rid of that old computer (sans the SCC-1; I can't afford to get rid of that rare card)  I ran everest and got a report.  Unfortunately, I can't get it online just yet because my newest computer out of the three desktops we have, does not have a floppy drive, and I can't burn a file to a CD on our old HP Pavilion.  This means I will need access to our Dell for this.

GX1_Man, if the settings keep getting lost, will the computer eventually fail to boot?  If that is so, I'd like to save it somehow, if it is possible.  I doubt it though.  There may be a chance that the CMOS may be freaked out.  Also, there were long time periods (months or more) where that computer never got used.  I may need to find another computer that has Windows 95/98 instead of that one.  Only time will tell.  I've got some games that only run well on that old HP, that I cannot live without.

Should I try to use this program to save the CMOS settings or not?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CMOSsaveCMOSrest_d4049.html
          « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:57:24 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:32:26 AM »
          There is no point in saving the default settings. If a new battery fixes it they will still be right there. If it does not, it will not matter.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
            I'm going to go ahead and write down the bios settings, or save them to a disk.  This way I won't lose them.

Tomorrow I plan on using our Dell to get the Everest report up here.  I'll need to get a floppy disk and get it from the old PC first.

Edit:  I should have said this earlier.  This is the full error message that shows up.  In fact, three errors show up on a cold boot in this order:

CMOS Checksum Invalid
            Memory Size Decreased
            CMOS Time & Date Not Set

Could it be the RAM?  I have no idea.  I could ask my father to try removing one stick of ram, and then the other, to find out if either of them is bad.  The next thing to check would be the PSU, but we do not have a spare.  (We'd have to find a matching one, and hopefully the Everest report will clarify what it is.)

Edit 2:  At any rate, if I can't do anything to remedy this issue, I'm going to make sure that this PC gets sent to the Geek Squad.
            « Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:48:42 PM by DarthMaul »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
              • Obituary
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:36:33 AM »
            Do you have the correct voltage ETC. battery for the CMOS?

As Gx1_Man has pointed out until you change that CMOS battery
            and use the correct battery when you do it.....No one can really
            tell you anything. :-?

Why would you be rushing off to the GeekSquad?They already
            know how to do the job.What knowledge would you gain?

The battery is no harder to change than any other battery
            incuding a flashlight battery.Once you learn how ,it's just
            another boring chore.
            « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:54:43 AM by street1 »
            Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
              Street1, both the original battery and the new one are 3V CR2032 Lithium coin-cell batteries.  The original one was swiss-made.  The replacement was made in Japan.  One thing I can tell you is that there's no data loss with the drives, as they're all detected.  The PC is able to boot up successfully every time.  I haven't checked safe mode, but I know that normal mode boots up fine.  One strange thing that happens when I access my computer, is that the floppy drive is labeled as a 5 1/4" drive.  Of course, when I restart in MS-DOS mode and return to Windows, the same drive is then labeled as a 3 1/2" drive, as it should be.

Also, I'd rather have the Geek Squad do it myself.  I'm not the type of person who likes to open up his computer and deal with the problem.  I'd rather not take a risk at damaging this PC, as I need it for my older games.  (At least I know they still run well.)  Right now I have this computer on, in DOS mode.  I'm leaving it on for a while and not shutting it off.  I'll restart it in a few days and check on the CMOS.  Within the next few hours, I'll try to get the Everest report up if possible.

Update:  Here's the Everest report.  I have to do this in multiple posts.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                  Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                  Report Type                                       Quick Report
                  Computer                                          DEFAULT
                  Generator                                        
                  Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 95 4.00.1111B (Win95B OSR 2.0)
                  Date                                              1990-01-01
                  Time                                              00:07

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 95
                    OS Service Pack                                   -
                    DirectX                                           4.08.00.0400 (DirectX 8.0)
                    Computer Name                                     DEFAULT
                    User Name                                        

Motherboard:
                    CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium, 200 MHz
                    Motherboard Name                                  Intel Ruby RU430HX
                    Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Triton 82430HX
                    System Memory                                     125 MB
                    BIOS Type                                         AMI (07/19/96)

Display:
                    Video Adapter                                     S3 ViRGE (86c325)
                    3D Accelerator                                    S3 ViRGE
                    Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (62262207414)

Multimedia:
                    Audio Adapter                                     Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage:
                    Floppy Drive                                      Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                    Disk Drive                                        QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM3200A  (3 GB, 4500 RPM, Fast ATA-2)
                    Disk Drive                                        WDC AC38400L
                    SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                    C: (FAT32)                                        8008 MB (7575 MB free)
                    D: (FAT32)                                        3057 MB (2863 MB free)
                    Total Size                                        10.8 GB (10.2 GB free)

Peripherals:
                    Printer                                           HP DeskJet 560C Printer
              (Note from Ryan:  There is no printer connected to this PC.)

--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
                    Size                                              64 KB
                    Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk
                    Capabilities                                      Unknown
                    Supported Standards                               DMI
                    Expansion Capabilities                            Unknown

[ System ]

System Properties:
                    Manufacturer                                      HP Pavilion
                    Product                                           7285D3903A
                    Serial Number                                     US63502940

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
                    Manufacturer                                      Intel Corporation
                    Product                                           RUBY
                    Version                                           AA659433-504
                    Serial Number                                     S02826185

(Continued on next post)
              « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:05:17 PM by DarthMaul »

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
                Your new battery may not be making a good connection, someone may have bent the little clip too much.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »
                  I'm not sure, Fed.  My uncle has been working with computers for years.

(Continuing from previous part of report)

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
                        Error Detection Method                            None
                        Error Correction                                  None
                        Supported Memory Speeds                           70ns, 60ns
                        Supported Memory Types                            FPM, EDO, SIMM
                        Supported Memory Voltages                         5V
                        Maximum Memory Module Size                        32 MB
                        Memory Slots                                      4

[ Processors / Intel Pentium Processor ]

Processor Properties:
                        Manufacturer                                      Intel Corporation
                        Version                                           Intel Pentium Processor
                        External Clock                                    102 MHz
                        Maximum Clock                                     512 MHz
                        Current Clock                                     512 MHz
                        Type                                              Central Processor
                        Voltage                                           3.3 V
                        Status                                            Enabled
                        Upgrade                                           ZIF
                        Socket Designation                                CPU-1

[ Caches / Cache #1 ]

Cache Properties:
                        Type                                              External
                        Status                                            Enabled
                        Operational Mode                                  Write-Back
                        Maximum Size                                      512 KB
                        Installed Size                                    256 KB
                        Supported SRAM Type                               Asynchronous, Pipeline Burst
                        Current SRAM Type                                 Pipeline Burst

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
                        Socket Designation                                SIMM-2
                        Type                                              EDO, SIMM
                        Installed Size                                    32 MB
                        Enabled Size                                      32 MB

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-3 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-3

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-4 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-4

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-5 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-5
                        Installed Size                                    Not Installed
                        Enabled Size                                      Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-6 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-6
                        Installed Size                                    Not Installed
                        Enabled Size                                      Not Installed

[ System Slots / PCI-1 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  PCI-1
                        Type                                              PCI
                        Data Bus Width                                    32-bit

[ System Slots / PCI-2 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  PCI-2
                        Type                                              PCI
                        Data Bus Width                                    32-bit

[ System Slots / ISA-1 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-1
                        Type                                              ISA
                        Data Bus Width                                    16-bit

[ System Slots / ISA-2 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-2

[ System Slots / ISA-3 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-3

[ Port Connectors / COM A ]

Port Connector Properties:
                        Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550 Compatible
                        Internal Reference Designator                     J6K1
                        Internal Connector Type                           None
                        External Reference Designator                     COM A
                        External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
                    [ Port Connectors / COM B ]

Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550 Compatible
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J5K1
                          External Reference Designator                     COM B
                          External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / LPT1 ]

Port Type                                         Parallel Port ECP/EPP
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J3K1
                          External Reference Designator                     LPT1
                          External Connector Type                           DB-25 pin female

[ Port Connectors / VGA ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J230
                          External Reference Designator                     VGA
                          External Connector Type                           DB-15 pin female

[ Port Connectors / Keyboard ]

Port Type                                         Keyboard Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J8K1
                          External Reference Designator                     Keyboard
                          External Connector Type                           Micro-DIN

[ Port Connectors / MOUSE ]

Port Type                                         Mouse Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J7K1
                          External Reference Designator                     MOUSE
                          External Connector Type                           Micro-DIN

[ Port Connectors / AUDIO/MIDI ]

Port Type                                         MIDI Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J9H1
                          External Reference Designator                     AUDIO/MIDI
                          External Connector Type                           None

[ Port Connectors / VESA ]

Port Type                                         None
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J220
                          External Reference Designator                     VESA

[ Port Connectors / FLOPPY ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J123
                          Internal Connector Type                           On-Board Floppy
                          External Reference Designator                     FLOPPY

[ Port Connectors / IDE-1 ]

Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE
                          External Reference Designator                     IDE-1

[ Port Connectors / IDE-2 ]

Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE
                          External Reference Designator                     IDE-2

[ On-Board Devices / AUDIO ]

On-Board Device Properties:
                          Description                                       AUDIO
                          Type                                              Video