Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS battery replaced  (Read 8234 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    CMOS battery replaced
    « on: December 16, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
    Well, I finally have to report that the CMOS battery in my old computer has finally been replaced by my uncle.  Now a new problem has arisen, which I hope to eliminate.  The battery is new, I assume.  When I boot up the computer, even when I restart it, it prompts me for the time and date.  I set it, but it resets back to January 01 1990 every time.  Any suggestions on getting it to hold the information?  I'm not going for another battery, as I'm not going to open up the computer.

GX1_Man

Re: CMOS battery replaced
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »
    That battery is dead, the correct values have not been set since it was changed or it is not inserted correctly. Is it in backwards? That is the default date for your BIOS.

Be sure and set the date and time in the BIOS and see if it will retain that information.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
    No one seems so desperate to report back the good news
    when they are all fixed up.

Did you tinker with that CMOS battery,or not?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »
      GX1_Man, are you sure that the battery is dead?  It was in sealed factory packaging before it was put in.  I've checked everything else in the BIOS setup, and can confirm that the other settings have not been lost.  (Everything else is detected.)  I'm just having a date and time issue, as it seems.  This is not affecting the system's ability to run any games.  Unlike most computers I've seen, this one has a board on top of the motherboard which holds the cards in place.  The CMOS battery cannot be accessed without removing it.  I will need to learn how to avoid the risks ESD before attempting that.  I will not go anywhere near the insides of that computer at this time.

And no, the battery is not in backwards.  The area with the text on the battery is facing away from the motherboard, like it was with the original CMOS battery.

Also, I have tried setting the time and date in the bios, and it does not help.  The time and date reset instantly when I exit, even if I save.
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 04:24:58 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
      I don't know the history of the battery. If it was a new and fresh one of the appropriate type that should work. Have a read here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER12-c.html

I would try another battery first. What if you change other settings in the BIOS and restart. Are they retained?

After a quick review of your last 50 posts I am aware of multiple problems with that machine.
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:54:22 PM by GX1_Man »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:21:23 PM »
        The BIOS is asking for a password, GX1_Man.  I'm thinking that unless I can get it right, it won't let me change the time.

Edit:  That's odd.  Often it doesn't ask me for a password.  Sometimes it does though.  *Shrugs*  At any rate, if it does, I'll try the next three passwords, until I get the password right.  I printed them off of the password page here at Computer Hope.  

I did try changing some other settings, like the audio settings within the bios.  These affect the ISA card, and it did let me keep those changes.  It is only the time clock that I can't get to stay at the proper time when I turn the computer off.  I guess I'll just have to set it in Windows.  At least until I get the BIOS password correct.
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:42:54 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:06 PM »
        If it truly is a BIOS password then you should not be able to get into the BIOS at all to change any settings. Try disabling the CDROM drive in the BIOS, unplug the machine from the wall for 5 minutes and restart it. Were the changes saved?

What is the make/model of the computer or motherboard? If you don't know download and run Everest Home, make a report and post it here along with your results of the above test.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:00:50 PM by GX1_Man »

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 09:41:51 PM »
          No good.  The CMOS is losing settings.  The replacement battery must be bad.  I may have to live witht this.  Eventually I'm guessing we will have to get rid of that old computer (sans the SCC-1; I can't afford to get rid of that rare card)  I ran everest and got a report.  Unfortunately, I can't get it online just yet because my newest computer out of the three desktops we have, does not have a floppy drive, and I can't burn a file to a CD on our old HP Pavilion.  This means I will need access to our Dell for this.

GX1_Man, if the settings keep getting lost, will the computer eventually fail to boot?  If that is so, I'd like to save it somehow, if it is possible.  I doubt it though.  There may be a chance that the CMOS may be freaked out.  Also, there were long time periods (months or more) where that computer never got used.  I may need to find another computer that has Windows 95/98 instead of that one.  Only time will tell.  I've got some games that only run well on that old HP, that I cannot live without.

Should I try to use this program to save the CMOS settings or not?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CMOSsaveCMOSrest_d4049.html
          « Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 09:57:24 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 04:32:26 AM »
          There is no point in saving the default settings. If a new battery fixes it they will still be right there. If it does not, it will not matter.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
            I'm going to go ahead and write down the bios settings, or save them to a disk.  This way I won't lose them.

Tomorrow I plan on using our Dell to get the Everest report up here.  I'll need to get a floppy disk and get it from the old PC first.

Edit:  I should have said this earlier.  This is the full error message that shows up.  In fact, three errors show up on a cold boot in this order:

CMOS Checksum Invalid
            Memory Size Decreased
            CMOS Time & Date Not Set

Could it be the RAM?  I have no idea.  I could ask my father to try removing one stick of ram, and then the other, to find out if either of them is bad.  The next thing to check would be the PSU, but we do not have a spare.  (We'd have to find a matching one, and hopefully the Everest report will clarify what it is.)

Edit 2:  At any rate, if I can't do anything to remedy this issue, I'm going to make sure that this PC gets sent to the Geek Squad.
            « Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:48:42 PM by DarthMaul »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
            « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:36:33 AM »
            Do you have the correct voltage ETC. battery for the CMOS?

As Gx1_Man has pointed out until you change that CMOS battery
            and use the correct battery when you do it.....No one can really
            tell you anything. :-?

Why would you be rushing off to the GeekSquad?They already
            know how to do the job.What knowledge would you gain?

The battery is no harder to change than any other battery
            incuding a flashlight battery.Once you learn how ,it's just
            another boring chore.
            « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:54:43 AM by street1 »
            Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
              Street1, both the original battery and the new one are 3V CR2032 Lithium coin-cell batteries.  The original one was swiss-made.  The replacement was made in Japan.  One thing I can tell you is that there's no data loss with the drives, as they're all detected.  The PC is able to boot up successfully every time.  I haven't checked safe mode, but I know that normal mode boots up fine.  One strange thing that happens when I access my computer, is that the floppy drive is labeled as a 5 1/4" drive.  Of course, when I restart in MS-DOS mode and return to Windows, the same drive is then labeled as a 3 1/2" drive, as it should be.

Also, I'd rather have the Geek Squad do it myself.  I'm not the type of person who likes to open up his computer and deal with the problem.  I'd rather not take a risk at damaging this PC, as I need it for my older games.  (At least I know they still run well.)  Right now I have this computer on, in DOS mode.  I'm leaving it on for a while and not shutting it off.  I'll restart it in a few days and check on the CMOS.  Within the next few hours, I'll try to get the Everest report up if possible.

Update:  Here's the Everest report.  I have to do this in multiple posts.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                  Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                  Report Type                                       Quick Report
                  Computer                                          DEFAULT
                  Generator                                        
                  Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 95 4.00.1111B (Win95B OSR 2.0)
                  Date                                              1990-01-01
                  Time                                              00:07

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 95
                    OS Service Pack                                   -
                    DirectX                                           4.08.00.0400 (DirectX 8.0)
                    Computer Name                                     DEFAULT
                    User Name                                        

Motherboard:
                    CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium, 200 MHz
                    Motherboard Name                                  Intel Ruby RU430HX
                    Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Triton 82430HX
                    System Memory                                     125 MB
                    BIOS Type                                         AMI (07/19/96)

Display:
                    Video Adapter                                     S3 ViRGE (86c325)
                    3D Accelerator                                    S3 ViRGE
                    Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (62262207414)

Multimedia:
                    Audio Adapter                                     Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage:
                    Floppy Drive                                      Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                    Disk Drive                                        QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM3200A  (3 GB, 4500 RPM, Fast ATA-2)
                    Disk Drive                                        WDC AC38400L
                    SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                    C: (FAT32)                                        8008 MB (7575 MB free)
                    D: (FAT32)                                        3057 MB (2863 MB free)
                    Total Size                                        10.8 GB (10.2 GB free)

Peripherals:
                    Printer                                           HP DeskJet 560C Printer
              (Note from Ryan:  There is no printer connected to this PC.)

--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
                    Size                                              64 KB
                    Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk
                    Capabilities                                      Unknown
                    Supported Standards                               DMI
                    Expansion Capabilities                            Unknown

[ System ]

System Properties:
                    Manufacturer                                      HP Pavilion
                    Product                                           7285D3903A
                    Serial Number                                     US63502940

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
                    Manufacturer                                      Intel Corporation
                    Product                                           RUBY
                    Version                                           AA659433-504
                    Serial Number                                     S02826185

(Continued on next post)
              « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:05:17 PM by DarthMaul »

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
                Your new battery may not be making a good connection, someone may have bent the little clip too much.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »
                  I'm not sure, Fed.  My uncle has been working with computers for years.

(Continuing from previous part of report)

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
                        Error Detection Method                            None
                        Error Correction                                  None
                        Supported Memory Speeds                           70ns, 60ns
                        Supported Memory Types                            FPM, EDO, SIMM
                        Supported Memory Voltages                         5V
                        Maximum Memory Module Size                        32 MB
                        Memory Slots                                      4

[ Processors / Intel Pentium Processor ]

Processor Properties:
                        Manufacturer                                      Intel Corporation
                        Version                                           Intel Pentium Processor
                        External Clock                                    102 MHz
                        Maximum Clock                                     512 MHz
                        Current Clock                                     512 MHz
                        Type                                              Central Processor
                        Voltage                                           3.3 V
                        Status                                            Enabled
                        Upgrade                                           ZIF
                        Socket Designation                                CPU-1

[ Caches / Cache #1 ]

Cache Properties:
                        Type                                              External
                        Status                                            Enabled
                        Operational Mode                                  Write-Back
                        Maximum Size                                      512 KB
                        Installed Size                                    256 KB
                        Supported SRAM Type                               Asynchronous, Pipeline Burst
                        Current SRAM Type                                 Pipeline Burst

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-2 ]

Memory Module Properties:
                        Socket Designation                                SIMM-2
                        Type                                              EDO, SIMM
                        Installed Size                                    32 MB
                        Enabled Size                                      32 MB

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-3 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-3

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-4 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-4

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-5 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-5
                        Installed Size                                    Not Installed
                        Enabled Size                                      Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / SIMM-6 ]

Socket Designation                                SIMM-6
                        Installed Size                                    Not Installed
                        Enabled Size                                      Not Installed

[ System Slots / PCI-1 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  PCI-1
                        Type                                              PCI
                        Data Bus Width                                    32-bit

[ System Slots / PCI-2 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  PCI-2
                        Type                                              PCI
                        Data Bus Width                                    32-bit

[ System Slots / ISA-1 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-1
                        Type                                              ISA
                        Data Bus Width                                    16-bit

[ System Slots / ISA-2 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-2

[ System Slots / ISA-3 ]

System Slot Properties:
                        Slot Designation                                  ISA-3

[ Port Connectors / COM A ]

Port Connector Properties:
                        Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550 Compatible
                        Internal Reference Designator                     J6K1
                        Internal Connector Type                           None
                        External Reference Designator                     COM A
                        External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
                    [ Port Connectors / COM B ]

Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550 Compatible
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J5K1
                          External Reference Designator                     COM B
                          External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / LPT1 ]

Port Type                                         Parallel Port ECP/EPP
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J3K1
                          External Reference Designator                     LPT1
                          External Connector Type                           DB-25 pin female

[ Port Connectors / VGA ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J230
                          External Reference Designator                     VGA
                          External Connector Type                           DB-15 pin female

[ Port Connectors / Keyboard ]

Port Type                                         Keyboard Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J8K1
                          External Reference Designator                     Keyboard
                          External Connector Type                           Micro-DIN

[ Port Connectors / MOUSE ]

Port Type                                         Mouse Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J7K1
                          External Reference Designator                     MOUSE
                          External Connector Type                           Micro-DIN

[ Port Connectors / AUDIO/MIDI ]

Port Type                                         MIDI Port
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J9H1
                          External Reference Designator                     AUDIO/MIDI
                          External Connector Type                           None

[ Port Connectors / VESA ]

Port Type                                         None
                          Internal Reference Designator                     J220
                          External Reference Designator                     VESA

[ Port Connectors / FLOPPY ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J123
                          Internal Connector Type                           On-Board Floppy
                          External Reference Designator                     FLOPPY

[ Port Connectors / IDE-1 ]

Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE
                          External Reference Designator                     IDE-1

[ Port Connectors / IDE-2 ]

Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE
                          External Reference Designator                     IDE-2

[ On-Board Devices / AUDIO ]

On-Board Device Properties:
                          Description                                       AUDIO
                          Type                                              Video

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:06 PM »
                      --------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
                            CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium
                            CPU Alias                                         P54C, A80502
                            CPU Stepping                                      aC0/cC0
                            CPUID Revision                                    0000052Ch

CPU Speed:
                            CPU Clock                                         199.22 MHz

CPU Cache:
                            L1 Code Cache                                     8 KB
                            L1 Data Cache                                     8 KB
                            L2 Cache                                          0

Motherboard Properties:
                            Motherboard ID                                    INTEL-1.00.XX.DC0L

Chipset Properties:
                            Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Triton 82430HX

BIOS Properties:
                            System BIOS Date                                  07/19/96
                            Video BIOS Date                                   02/27/96

Graphics Processor Properties:
                            Video Adapter                                     S3 ViRGE (86c325)
                            GPU Code Name                                     86c325  (PCI 5333 / 5631, Rev 00)
                            GPU Clock                                         14 MHz
                            Memory Clock                                      14 MHz

--------[ Power Management ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Management Properties:
                            Current Power Source                              AC Line
                            Battery Status                                    No Battery
                            Full Battery Lifetime                             Unknown
                            Remaining Battery Lifetime                        Unknown

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
                            CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium, 200 MHz
                            CPU Alias                                         P54C, A80502
                            CPU Stepping                                      aC0/cC0
                            Instruction Set                                   x86
                            L1 Code Cache                                     8 KB
                            L1 Data Cache                                     8 KB
                            L2 Cache                                          0

CPU Physical Info:
                            Package Type                                      296 Pin PGA
                            Package Size                                      4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
                            Transistors                                       3.3 million
                            Process Technology                                4M, 0.35 um, BiCMOS
                            Die Size                                          91 / 83 mm2
                            Core Voltage                                      3.3 / 3.52 V
                            I/O Voltage                                       3.3 / 3.52 V
                            Typical Power                                     3.0 - 6.5 W  (depending on clock speed)
                            Maximum Power                                     8.0 - 15.5 W  (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
                            Company Name                                      Intel Corporation
                            Product Information                               http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
                            CPU #1                                            100 %

Problems & Suggestions:
                            Problem                                           No CPU L2 cache found. This may cause performance penalty.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 12:11:08 PM »
                        --------[ CPUID ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPUID Properties:
                              CPUID Manufacturer                                GenuineIntel
                              CPUID Revision                                    0000052Ch
                              Platform ID                                       00h  (Unknown)
                              IA CPU Serial Number                              Unknown
                              HTT / CMP Units                                   0 / 0

Instruction Set:
                              64-bit x86 Extension (AMD64, EM64T)               Not Supported
                              Alternate Instruction Set                         Not Supported
                              AMD 3DNow!                                        Not Supported
                              AMD 3DNow! Professional                           Not Supported
                              AMD Enhanced 3DNow!                               Not Supported
                              AMD Extended MMX                                  Not Supported
                              Cyrix Extended MMX                                Not Supported
                              IA-64                                             Not Supported
                              IA MMX                                            Not Supported
                              IA SSE                                            Not Supported
                              IA SSE 2                                          Not Supported
                              IA SSE 3                                          Not Supported
                              CLFLUSH Instruction                               Not Supported
                              CMPXCHG8B Instruction                             Supported
                              CMPXCHG16B Instruction                            Not Supported
                              Conditional Move Instruction                      Not Supported
                              MONITOR / MWAIT Instruction                       Not Supported
                              RDTSCP Instruction                                Not Supported
                              SYSCALL / SYSRET Instruction                      Not Supported
                              SYSENTER / SYSEXIT Instruction                    Not Supported
                              VIA FEMMS Instruction                             Not Supported

Security Features:
                              Advanced Cryptography Engine (ACE)                Not Supported
                              Data Execution Prevention (DEP, NX, EDB)          Not Supported
                              Hardware Random Number Generator (RNG)            Not Supported
                              Montgomery Multiplier & Hash Engine               Not Supported
                              Processor Serial Number (PSN)                     Not Supported

Power Management Features:
                              Automatic Clock Control                           Not Supported
                              Enhanced Halt State (C1E)                         Not Supported
                              Enhanced SpeedStep Technology (EIST, ESS)         Not Supported
                              Frequency ID Control                              Not Supported
                              LongRun                                           Not Supported
                              LongRun Table Interface                           Not Supported
                              PowerSaver 1.0                                    Not Supported
                              PowerSaver 2.0                                    Not Supported
                              PowerSaver 3.0                                    Not Supported
                              Processor Duty Cycle Control                      Not Supported
                              Software Thermal Control                          Not Supported
                              Temperature Sensing Diode                         Not Supported
                              Thermal Monitor 1                                 Not Supported
                              Thermal Monitor 2                                 Not Supported
                              Thermal Monitoring                                Not Supported
                              Thermal Trip                                      Not Supported
                              Voltage ID Control                                Not Supported

CPUID Features:
                              36-bit Page Size Extension                        Not Supported
                              Address Region Registers (ARR)                    Not Supported
                              CPL Qualified Debug Store                         Not Supported
                              Debug Trace Store                                 Not Supported
                              Debugging Extension                               Supported
                              Fast Save & Restore                               Not Supported
                              Hyper-Threading Technology (HTT)                  Not Supported
                              L1 Context ID                                     Not Supported
                              Local APIC On Chip                                Not Supported
                              Machine Check Architecture (MCA)                  Not Supported
                              Machine Check Exception (MCE)                     Supported
                              Memory Configuration Registers (MCR)              Not Supported
                              Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR)                Not Supported
                              Model Specific Registers (MSR)                    Supported
                              Page Attribute Table (PAT)                        Not Supported
                              Page Global Extension                             Not Supported
                              Page Size Extension (PSE)                         Supported
                              Pending Break Event                               Not Supported
                              Physical Address Extension (PAE)                  Not Supported
                              Secure Virtual Machine Extensions (Pacifica)      Not Supported
                              Self-Snoop                                        Not Supported
                              Time Stamp Counter (TSC)                          Supported
                              Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool)           Not Supported
                              Virtual Mode Extension                            Supported                      

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 12:13:24 PM »
                          CPUID Registers (CPU #1):
                                CPUID 00000000                                    00000001-756E6547-6C65746E-49656E69
                                CPUID 00000001                                    0000052C-00000000-00000000-000001BF

Problems & Suggestions:
                                Problem                                           MMX is not supported. This may cause performance penalty.
                                Suggestion                                        SSE is not supported. Upgrade your CPU to speed up applications optimized for SSE.

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
                                Motherboard ID                                    INTEL-1.00.XX.DC0L

Motherboard Manufacturer:
                                Product Information                               http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/index.htm
                                BIOS Download                                     http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm

--------[ Memory ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
                                Total                                             125 MB
                                Used                                              63 MB
                                Free                                              62 MB
                                Utilization                                       50 %

Swap Space:
                                Total                                             1922 MB
                                Used                                              0 MB
                                Free                                              1922 MB
                                Utilization                                       0 %

Virtual Memory:
                                Total                                             2047 MB
                                Used                                              63 MB
                                Free                                              1984 MB
                                Utilization                                       3 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
                                Supported by Operating System                     No
                                Supported by CPU                                  No
                                Active                                            No

Problems & Suggestions:
                                Suggestion                                        Install more system memory to improve applications performance.

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ North Bridge: Intel Triton 82430HX ]

North Bridge Properties:
                                North Bridge                                      Intel Triton 82430HX

Chipset Manufacturer:
                                Product Information                               http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
                                Driver Download                                   http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

--------[ BIOS ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Properties:
                                BIOS Type                                         AMI
                                System BIOS Date                                  07/19/96
                                Video BIOS Date                                   02/27/96

BIOS Manufacturer:
                                Company Name                                      American Megatrends Inc.
                                Product Information                               http://www.ami.com/amibios
                                BIOS Upgrades                                     http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40

Problems & Suggestions:
                                Suggestion                                        Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade?  Contact eSupport Today!

(If you need more, please let me know.  There's still much more to the Everst report.  Maybe I may have done too much here.)  I'm going to get the report and a few other things to my external hard drive and reconnect our newest PC after disconnecting the Dell.

Fed

• Sage
                            « Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 12:32:24 PM »
                            Also, I have tried setting the time and date in the bios, and it does not help.  [highlight]The time and date reset instantly when I exit, even if I save.[/highlight]
                            Are you 100% sure you are saving correctly, if so the setting should save until you reboot, even without a battery fitted.
                            You need to carefully read the bios screen when saving, the prompts to save seem to be written by idiots.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »
                              Also, I have tried setting the time and date in the bios, and it does not help.  [highlight]The time and date reset instantly when I exit, even if I save.[/highlight]
                              Are you 100% sure you are saving correctly, if so the setting should save until you reboot, even without a battery fitted.
                              You need to carefully read the bios screen when saving, the prompts to save seem to be written by idiots.

I am positive, Fed.  I changed the factory date to the current date in Setup, and then I clicked on "Save & Exit" (something like that; can't remember the exact text), which rebooted the computer.  When it rebooted, I got the exact same error message and went back to Setup.  The date resetted back to the factory date, and the time went back to midnight.  The same thing happens when I change the date and time under Windows.  Is there any other way to do this?  My computer has an AMI Bios.  Also, I have noticed that the BIOS is not up to date.  The version available on the HP website is higher than what is on that PC.

It appears that the time and date is the only thing that is affected so far that badly.  No problems with the hard drive thus far.  The most important thing is that the computer is able to boot successfully.  I don't encounter any slowdowns when Windows is running either.  (By the way, the modem was removed recently, so this computer can't access the internet any longer.  This computer had dial-up, and obviously isn't powerful enough to handle ethernet.  At least I think.)

At any rate, I'm not sure if the pins holding the battery down were bent or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To GX1_Man:
                              Do you need any more of the Everest report?  There's still more of it.  Fortunately I copied the report from the floppy disk to my external hard drive, so that I do not need to reconnect the Dell Dimension 8200 again.

I'm thinking it may be better if this old computer gets sent to the Geek Squad over at Best Buy.  I know I'll need the CD-ROMs and floppy disks, but they should know what to do to fix the issue.
                              « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:19:15 PM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »
                              I'm thinking it may be better if this old computer gets sent to the Geek Squad over at Best Buy.  I know I'll need the CD-ROMs and floppy disks, but they should know what to do to fix the issue.

What they will do is charge you about $100 which is about $99 dollars more than this Pentium 200 non MMX machine is worth. Surely you can find a better use for your money. I like old machines, but I know when to quit throwing good money after bad.  ;)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
                              « Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 06:32:06 PM »

What they will do is charge you about $100 which is about $99 dollars more than this Pentium 200 non MMX machine is worth. Surely you can find a better use for your money. I like old machines, but I know when to quit throwing good money after bad.  ;)

What GX1_Man said. ;D

Fed

• Sage
                                « Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 07:49:42 PM »
                                My money is on the battery not making proper contact. :)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
                                « Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 07:55:28 PM »
                                My money is on the battery not making proper contact. :)

or the uncle who fixed it. :-? ;D

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 07:29:03 AM »
                                  While on a break from work, I found this pdf file.  Take a look.  This is the manual for my old computer's motherboard.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/oem/28181002.pdf

Check out the diagram for the motherboard, and look at section 1.7.3

From what I remember, this battery has two metal pins holding it in place on the side, and another contact on the bottom.  There's nothing holding it in on the top.  The battery has to be in snugly.  It should be.

Also be sure to check out section 1.11 (Jumper settings for CMOS are there)

Edit:  This Christmas vacation I'm going to ask my father to check the RAM.  I did see a "Memory Size Decreased" message at bootup, from what I remember...

Latest edit:  Actually, I'd suggest you look at anything that you think may help me.  (I hope that the motherboard's capacitors are okay.)
                                  « Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:02:17 PM by DarthMaul »