Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player connects to Network  (Read 6243 times)

Soul Drudge

Windows Media Player connects to Network
« on: September 28, 2004, 06:08:22 AM »
Situation

Windows Media Player (9)  attempts to connect to Network.

Cause

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe or C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Attempts to connect to Network.

Why is it trying to do this? I deny it access because I see no reason for it to. I disabeled all options that are Internet related except for the Automatic Codec downloader which is tagged for once a week.

Thanks in advance.

tallyman

Re: Windows Media Player connects to Network
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 07:27:46 AM »
The only option you should need to disable is 'start player in Media Guide' as this is MPs on-line content viewer.

Soul Drudge

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:18:29 AM »
That is untagged. Along with all the options in the Privacy tab. Yet, it attempts to connect to my network.

Usually at the end or the beginning of a song.

Just for the record, I have no spyware or virus infections.

merlin_2

Soul Drudge

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 12:57:59 AM »
What good will setting the proxy server do? I wish for it not to attempt to connect my network. I block it using my firewall, I see no point in letting it connect. How do I prevent it from doing so?

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 04:16:47 AM »
DBBD.

Soul Drudge

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 09:59:48 AM »
Yes I love you too. What the heck does DBBD mean?

2k dummy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:44:41 AM »
Sorry about that. It should have been CDDB. I posted that a 4 in the morning and my brain was slightly disjointed. ;D

CDDB (which stands for Compact Disc Database) is a database for software applications to look up CD (compact disc) information over the Internet. This is performed by a client which calculates a (nearly) unique disc ID and then queries the database. As a result, the client is able to display the artist name, CD title, track list and some additional information.

The database is used primarily by media player and CD ripper software.

Try to disable the CDDB lookup. If it can't be disabled, you will just have to continue blocking access.

Soul Drudge

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 11:56:39 AM »
I have disallowed WMP from assigning my player an unique ID and to access any information from the net.

Where would I look for CDDB? Is it a service I have to disable or should it have come with WMP?

Thank you for the information, I now understand why it tries to connect. Makes me feel more safe.  ;)

2k dummy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:47:26 PM »
It is usually built into the software and you may or may not have the option to disable it. I use Winamp, and I get a popup dialog box that I allow or disallow CDDB. But it only lasts for the session and there is no permanent way to disable it. I let the firewall block access and make it ask for permission. It you permanently block it in the firewall, you won't be able to play streaming media from the internet. See if your options menu offers a way to disable CDDB.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 01:52:28 PM »
  wmp go to tools network tab ....configure...untick autodetect proxy setting box...and check media player library and untick internet sites rights from full access...to no acesss as w2k dummy has said...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 01:53:05 PM by merlin_2 »