Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using external hard drive  (Read 1937 times)

whitehorse2k

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    using external hard drive
    « on: December 18, 2006, 06:36:55 AM »
    Hi there
    I have an old computer I would like to use for storage of music and video files , how do I use the USB ports on my new unit to access the old unit H.D. Can I do this with patch cords. I woulke to play ,retrieve and record from the old unit. In a nut shell need to free up space on my newer unit.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: using external hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:00:20 PM »
    Do you need to keep the drive in the old computer?  In other words, could you remove the drive if you had other options for using it?  Those other options would be, 1) install the drive as a second drive in your main computer and, 2) connect the computers together via a crossover cable (this requires a free LAN port on each computer), 3) network the computers via a router, and 4) buy an external enclosure for the old hard drive, thereby creating an external hard drive.  For enclosures from Newegg.com, see: Computer Hardware > Computer Cases & External Enclosures > External Enclosures > size : 3.5"  .  Note that this list is all of their 3.5 inch hard drive enclosures with an IDE interface, which is what you would need for your old hard drive.