Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost my floppy disc driver  (Read 3335 times)

steptoe

Lost my floppy disc driver
« on: December 20, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »
I guess I really messed up.  I have a Dell, 2350, Dimension w/Windows XP.  The computer is running very slow at times and does not have any virus, spyware, etc.  I went to Dell support who recommended downloading an updated BIOS.  It has to be installed thru the Floppy drive and the drive will not work right.  It gets about 2/3 complete and then goes crazy and quits.  I tried it about 10 times with different floppy discs --- no good. Then I decided to uninstall the floppy driver (thinking it is corrupt) and install a new one.  Well Dell does not have a new driver for my floppy.  Now it is not even showing up under MY Computer.  Help, how can I get a new driver downloaded?

GX1_Man

Re: Lost my floppy disc driver
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:10:58 PM »
I guess I really messed up.  I have a Dell, 2350, Dimension w/Windows XP.  The computer is running very slow at times and does not have any virus, spyware, etc.  I went to Dell support who recommended downloading an updated BIOS.  It has to be installed thru the Floppy drive and the drive will not work right.  It gets about 2/3 complete and then goes crazy and quits.  I tried it about 10 times with different floppy discs --- no good. Then I decided to uninstall the floppy driver (thinking it is corrupt) and install a new one.  Well Dell does not have a new driver for my floppy.  Now it is not even showing up under MY Computer.  Help, how can I get a new driver downloaded?

Floppy drive drivers are built into Windows. If you delete it in Control Panel/System and reboot it should load it. If not, choose Add New Hardware and follow the steps.