Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB ESD Problem, Shutting down computers  (Read 3102 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
USB ESD Problem, Shutting down computers
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »
Hey... I have 2 systems that are very static sensitive. The smallest amount of static discharge to the outter USB face will cause the system to shut down, either your finger, pen drive, or USB cable. Most of the time you dont see of hear the static, but it shuts it down. Othertimes I have heard or felt it.

The systems are both new builds, all from individually purchased parts. The tower case is a cheapie, steel box with plastic front. Both systems, the motherboard is a MSI ( PM8M-V ) Socket 478 running a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 CPU and 1GB Ram. The tower is a Athenatech ( http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=6786551 ) picture and description can be found at link.

I disassembled the systems cases to remove their front and thought that if I soldered a wire between the outer USB shell and tied it to chasis ground that it would disipate the static discharge to the chasis instead of directly to the USB port, which then use to travel directly down the internal cable to the motherboard.

This wire has had no affect in reducing the amount of shut downs .... Anyone know if they make USB surge supressors .... I was thinking of maybe using an external USB hub, but it will most likely just travel down the hub to the system. Oddly I have about 20 other computers in this office and the others dont have this problem, so it is a hardware specific problem.

I suppose I could spray the whole office down with that static guard spray, but I dont want to use any chemicals in my office that could cause health problems.... I could also put in a humidifier to increase the humidity, but not good around $30,000 servers where you want it to be dry and cool.

I tried to do away with the carpeted floor, but the landlord wont allow for it to be replaced with tile...Go figure!

Not sure what other options I have??? Any suggestions??? Other than having to remove the systems from the room....

I'd replace the case if I knew that was the problem ... But dont want to waste $120 and not have the problem solved...

Thanks   :-?

Tinygnome

Beginner
    Re: USB ESD Problem, Shutting down computers
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 04:38:06 PM »
    i have to be honest i have not herd this before

my only thought might be the power supply...although i have never herd of a power supply shutting down due to USB static....although some power supplies have auto-shutdowns if they get to much power...(kind like a surge protector)  but i will research it
    BBY store 0004

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB ESD Problem, Shutting down computers
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
    Are you sure your PSU is grounded properly?

Did you use the proper standoffs on the motherboard?

Do you have a motherboard screw ever so slightly grounding
    out?
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.