Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New pc, copy hard drive    (Read 2327 times)

ned1

New pc, copy hard drive  
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:52:41 AM »
Hi all,
I am replacing my pc shortly and would like to transfer all my software and settings from my old "C" drive onto my new pc but not xp (I am getting a new xp so as to get a voucher upgrade to the new Vista or maybe it will be a better idea to run the xp from my old pc and buy Vista as it comes out!!)
Can this be done and if so what software do I need.
 :-?
Thanks
Ned

GX1_Man

Re: New pc, copy hard drive  
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:08:51 AM »
The software will need to be reloaded from the original CD's for a correct installation. Windows should be installed when you get the new machine, whatever it is. Just copying that over onto new hardware seldom works. Data files are easily burned to a CD/DVD for movement. Special instruction are availabel for easy transfer of e-mail, IE settings, addressbook, etc.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 05:15:46 AM by GX1_Man »

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Intermediate
  • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 12:06:37 PM »
    Here are a few ways to copy ur data and preserve settings...

Well the first part is partially preserving a windows configuration with nLite. With that u can make ur own personalized Windows Installation CD, but it's got it's limits.

After that u can copy data and settings. The problem here is I've only found software that u need 2 pay 4, that can do this :(
    My 2 favourites are Genie Backup Manager and Acronis True Image. They both can copy settings and data onto a medium of ur desire.

But if u've got two computers with a windows installation on it u can use Windows own functin to copy ur stuff. Start-->All Programs-->Accesories-->System Programs-->Assistant to copy files and settings.

Hope this helps :)
    Don't smoke!

ned1

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »
    if u've got two computers with a windows installation on it u can use Windows own function to copy ur stuff. Start-->All Programs-->Accesories-->System Programs-->Assistant to copy files and settings.
    Hope this helps :)

Are you saying that if both are running XP that if I follow the above instructions I can transfer and install
    all my broadband, email (pop3) etc setting and then just reinstall all my programs onto the pc.
    Thanks
    Ned :)