Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows firewall  (Read 3021 times)

dede

windows firewall
« on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »
i noticed that there  are 2 exceptions checked under windows firewall:  1) file & printer sharing , & 2) network diagnostics for windows xp.  i want to keep firewall protection strong & wondered if  these exceptions should be permitted.  i am also not clear what is included in these exceptions.  any help appreciated, dede

Saviour

Re: windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 05:21:55 PM »
If you have a home network and want to allow file and printer sharing between computers on your network, then leave the file and printer sharing box checked.

The latter is a result from an optional Windows Update software download that was recently performed.  If you are going to use the Network Diagnostics tool for XP then leave it checked, otherwise, uncheck it.

Hope this info was helpful.

dede

Re: windows firewall
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »
Saviour, you mentioned:

"If you have a home network and want to allow file and printer sharing between computers on your network, then leave the file and printer sharing box checked."

Not sure what a home network is.  I have an older pc i use at home & sometimes connect my work laptop to the home printer & phone modum---is this what you mean about allowing file & printer sharing between computers on your network?  thanks