Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Computer - directory access  (Read 2493 times)

tradingpartner

My Computer - directory access
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »
I recently updated my Yahoo Music Jukebox. I've since uninstalled this program as a result of my problem. Before uninstalling (after the update), my desktop would display all my icons, clear (like it's refreshing), come back back with the normal appearance and automatically "refresh" again. I let it continue this cycle to see how long it would continue to do this, and it easily went 15 minutes before I did a hard shut down. When I Uninstalled Yahoo Music Jukebox, it seemed stable. My problem is that when I click on My Computer to access my folders, the desktop refreshes (almost like it crashes), comes back but does not bring up the drives. Any icon I click on that is linked to my folders does the same as the My Computer problem, like each attempt causes the desktop to crash.

Shortcuts to programs work fine. Everything seems to work fine unless I need to access a directory folders. That doesn't seem to cooperate. I've already run it through the hard disk scanning tool.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help........

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My Computer - directory access
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:40:34 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

I assume your Operating System is one of the XP variants.

Your system [highlight]may [/highlight]have one or more bits of malware installed, do you run Anti-virus/firewall?.

Click Start>Run and type SFC /SCANNOW in the dialog box then hit OK.  Have your genuine XP cd to hand, you may be asked for it.  Sfc will scan your system files for corruptions and replace them from the cd if necessary.

Note: Upper case is used for emphasis only.

If you post back please give some details of your system.

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:43:13 PM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

tradingpartner

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 07:36:52 PM »
Yes, you are correct. Sorry, I had forgotten to specify that I have an XP.

Earlier, I installed the software for an HP Photo Printer, and my problem seemd to have disappeared.

Went out for a while and came back. tried accessing my folders, and it was acting up again.

I appreciate your suggestion, it's doing it's thing as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes....

tradingpartner

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »
Well, I tried to Scan Now process twice, and I'm still experiencing the desktop problem,

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help...

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »
do you run Anti-virus/firewall?
And what other protection do you use/have installed?

tradingpartner

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
I've run it through Ad-Aware, My anti-virus software is Panda, and the 2007 version has a firewall included. I scan for spyware almost every other day (just in case). I have Ad-Watch running constantly in my system...

I've used system restore and went back to the 18th, but the problem still exists.

I have Roxio CD Burner and when I drag and drop files to be burned, they do not show up in the appropriate area. However, I also have Easy CD-DA Extractor that does allow me to burn files. I'm not convinded that the Yahoo Music software caused the problem, because I've uninstalled it and still have the problem.

I'm at a loss....

Thanks for the interest, and the ideas.