Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP reinstall  (Read 2093 times)

wildgopher

Windows XP reinstall
« on: December 23, 2006, 08:37:40 PM »
I tried to do a windows xp reinstall yesterday but a message came up and said that the version I wanted to install was older than the one I had now. I think this is because I have windows XP SP2(I think).
What should I do....leave it alone or try the reinstall anyway?

The reason for the reinstall would be because I think I deleated a couple things  I don't think I should have ( I got a little cocky, thought I knew what I was doing).

Thanks in advance.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows XP reinstall
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:42:55 PM »
    wildgopher.......  Were you planning on doing a format and then a clean install of XP ........... ?   I ask because if you were , I don't think you should have received that message .

Is the XP cd you have a MicroSoft issue with SP1 or is it a copied cd ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

wildgopher

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »
    Not sure I can answer what you asked....However..I have the disk that I purchased. It is from Microssoft. What I wanted to do is put the disk in and re-install it, so that anything I may have deleted by accident, will now be back in. Since I now have XP SP2, the version I was loading said only XP. Can I still do it, and then re-download SP2, or is there a way to see what i am missing and then ask for only that to be installed.
    I hope someone knows what I mean. My computer runs fine and I don't want to mess it up, but I would like everything to be there if I need it and I do get occasional messages that say I need this or that to do this or that.

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:49:27 AM »
      ok, here we go.

Split or HDD (that is create extended partition)  and install  OS over there.
      After set that partition primary and boot in from there.
      and finally delete XP SP2.

As for creating partitions : don u have any utility able to do that?
      If no, i'd recommend Disk Director.
      This utility can split/merge partitions.
      Besides, it has OS selector feature.